Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit info and changes
 I have been following Detroit for sometime was wondering what happened to engine 9 over the last few weeks  and also if with hiring Firefighters were they going to re open any companies 

Quote: I have been following Detroit for sometime was wondering what happened to engine 9 over the last few weeks  and also if with hiring Firefighters were they going to re open any companies 
Engine 9's apparatus, 2000 American LaFrance, broke down in early November. The break down was not repaired and  the truck is/was up for sale by J& D Auction in Detroit.  Its been replaced by TAC2, 2005 Ford/Pierce mini pumper. Engine 27's, 2000 ALF has the same disposition. 
J&D has/had several AFLs, Ferraras, and Medics up for auction just a couple of weeks ago. What I somewhat don't understand is when they auctioned Engine 9 off, it had a brand new Red steel bumper on it. I say take it off, and put it on one of the busier ALFs that doesn't have it... get your worth out of it with the way those bumpers get smashed.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Thank you for the info will engine go back in-service if they get new engines someday 

Detroit has a new mayor, who appointed an interim fire commissioner. The interim commissioner kept the deputy fire commissioner and appointed several new second deputy commissioners. We will have to wait and see what there plans for the fire department. 
I heard eng 9 back inservice what are they running on

Quote:I heard eng 9 back inservice what are they running on
2005 Pierce, originally assigned to E34. E34 is using a 2007 Pierce, originally assigned to E47. 
Thank you for the info

Any rumors companies with all the guys they are hiring will they be opening any of the closed ones

I'd like to know what ever happen with the fire commissioner from LAFD they had? and if ever did he make good on his plan to turn things around?
Quote:I'd like to know what ever happen with the fire commissioner from LAFD they had? and if ever did he make good on his plan to turn things around?
If I'm not mistaken, he recently resigned or at least announced that he would be and no, he never made good on that plan.
Quote:I'd like to know what ever happen with the fire commissioner from LAFD they had? and if ever did he make good on his plan to turn things around?
Don Austin resigned in late December. He would have been replaced anyway with a new mayor coming on January 1. An interim fire commissioner has been appointed from within the DFD. 
Craig Dougherty as seen on BURN has now been promoted to Second Deputy Commissioner for fire fighting operations and apparatus repair.

Trav!

I heard rumor there are re opening some firehouses. Anyone know which houses and companies that will occupy them.

Smeal was the low bidder on ladder bid

E\-One second

Spartan #3

Pierce and KME #4 and 5
WOW! Kind of doesn't surprise me, but WOW!

Smeal has been making a very good product for awhile now and is force to be dealt these days. This is not a surprise at all to me.
Saw an E\-One Quest 100' rearmount tower demo out there when I was there in July. Thought it would be a long shot but looks like E\-One came up only a little short being 2nd lowest. Good for Smeal and DFD. These ladders are BADLY needed

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Smeal makaes a pretty decent rig. StLouis has been running all smeal since 2000. The last few years the quints have gone out for refurb to extend their life span.
I think the reason why the other manufacturers priced so high is because of the way Detroit beats on their trucks and have history with manufacturers warranties.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com