https://www.facebook.com/GlickFireEquipm...=3&theater

Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
Arrow Xt cab.

Are the Ascendants really "heavy duty", as compared to the standard Pierce aerial? I've never seen one in person. I wonder what the benefit is of an Ascendant on a tiller, other then the extra 7 feet and weight?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Are the Ascendants really "heavy duty", as compared to the standard Pierce aerial? I've never seen one in person. I wonder what the benefit is of an Ascendant on a tiller, other then the extra 7 feet and weight?
It is as good or a little better. The Ascendents are 750 pounds dry and 500 wet. Ours is 500 & 500. As far as the Ascendents go, you will see them become the only aerial offer. Really it is the update of the 105' rm & 100' tiller. The change from 70k psi steel to 100k results in little less weight and a smaller aerial size. Their platforms should be next moving to the 100k psi steel which hopefully will result in a smaller overall size and maybe a 4 section rearmount platform that is around 120' (this is just wishful thinking! No inside info).

Quote:It is as good or a little better. The Ascendents are 750 pounds dry and 500 wet. Ours is 500 & 500. As far as the Ascendents go, you will see them become the only aerial offer. Really it is the update of the 105' rm & 100' tiller. The change from 70k psi steel to 100k results in little less weight and a smaller aerial size. Their platforms should be next moving to the 100k psi steel which hopefully will result in a smaller overall size and maybe a 4 section rearmount platform that is around 120' (this is just wishful thinking! No inside info).

The single axle ascendant they first introduced which has an awful lot of limitations is really handicapped by the torque box  & stabilizer design (which was all done to bring down weight to make a SRA possible) rather than by the aerial itself.  Stick the 100kpsi steel aerial on the 105's torque box and you will have a nice truck.  Smeal has been using the 100kpsi steel for years in their steel aerials FYI.

I'm surprised that more haven't followed Seagrave's lead on the Apollo II with the 4 section ladder for a rear mount platform.  The overall length reduction is significant and I would think most people wouldn't mind a shorter rear mount platform.