Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board Status
I deleted the other Notices thread.  While it seems that any migration I attempt stalls, I am still plugging away trying to make the Wordpress based site work, but I am not optimistic.

I installed phpbb onto the site and attempted a migration, but the migration tool immediately threw errors upon examining the database so that and most other board software is probably not an option.  The problem seems to be the fat that this site is so graphics (photo) heavy.  It either overwhelms the migrator, or causes the migrator to run painfully slow.

Please feel free to post as usual here.  I have no idea how long the Invision board software will hold up and since it is past end of life and unsupported, I make no guarantees. 

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Thanks Ed for what you are trying to do. This is an awesome website and I am very happy there is someone like you out there working on this! Keep up the great work!

26 hours and 40,000+ posts migrated and the migration tool froze again.  I do not believe that short of paying several hundred dollars for a professional migration firm to do the job that it can be done.

I cannot integrate this board's software with social media, The misbehaving subscriptions module makes it impossible for new members to sign up and as memberships expire, makes it difficult to retain members.  We have lost over 1000 members in the past 3 years.  Invision has ended their support for this software, and upgrading is not an option due to a legal issue between myself and Invision.  Short of making albums with all of the images from the monthly folders of this site, which would not have any poster information, and starting from scratch with phpBB or bbpress-which I know no one wants, I do not see the site surviving much longer.

I would like to thank everyone who sent me negative messages bashing the process based on an incomplete upload on the wordpress site-it means a lot.

The site will remain up, but when the software fails or there are no more members able to sign up, Firepics will be no more. 

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Dear Ed:

"I would like to thank everyone who sent me negative messages bashing the process based on an incomplete upload on the wordpress site-it means a lot."

Fuck 'em! :-)

Love Always

Skip

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Ed, THANK YOU for everything you have done for this group for at least the last 15 years (the old Yahoo Groups site and now this website). Whatever the right thing is for you to do, me and lots of others will be behind you and have your back. And remember to always take care of yourself and don't let the negative stuff get you down. You first, us second, everyone else third.

Thanks for all your hard work trying to migrate. Whatever happens your commitment to this site and fire photography stands on its own. Me, my kids, and many many others have spent countless thousands of hours here enjoying fire apparatus photography.

John
Ed, there are always going to be those that are easily offended. Like Skip said, SCREW 'em!!!! Those of us that have been here since the start truly appreciate everything you've done, and are doing. Please keep trying, and don't let the negative bastards get you down!! There HAS to be a way it can be done, and I know you'll figure it out. Good luck, and I know you can do it.

Matt

I'd love to see this site stay one way or the other...but whatever has to be done.

Thanks for all your work over the years!! I love the site and will greatly miss it.

I love this site. Let me know if I can help in any way, I'm very experienced with Invision. I know you've had some trouble with them in the past though, so I'd consider chipping into to a vBulletin conversion.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I could make it work with phpBB, the problem is not the particular software, it's the database migration.  The migrator for every board software that I've tried crashes before it can initialize any type of migration.  The only exception was bbpress.  I've also seen many recent abandonments of vBulletin because of their new price structure.  The best example would be Scan New England-I had hoped for a seamless transfer like theirs..

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
It looks like the myBB migrator is working....will keep everyone updated

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Well, it may not have benn 100% successful, but here it is. Please share any issues in the new thread I'm about to start
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Looking good so far. A few minor issues but we can all deal with that. I appreciate all the work you have put into keeping this around. Thank you!
Ed, the only issue is you probably don't get enough credit for all you do. Once again THANK YOU for your work to see this migration through.

Most all new rigs are delivered with some issues that need fixing but it's rarely a reason to reject the delivery, right?  I look forward to many years of service from this new board.  All of us are indebted to you for all the work you do here.

Thank you,
John
Thanks Ed for the new look and I am glad I paid for a lifetime membership :-). I haven't gotten a chance to completely look around but I will. Shy
Keeney

Webmaster of [url="http://www.fire-rescuetoys.net"]http://www.fire-rescuetoys.net[/url]

Webmaster for Harney Vol. Fire Company [url="http://www.harneyfire11.org"]http://www.harneyfire11.org[/url]

Webmaster for [url="http://www.frederickmdfiremuseum.org"]http://www.frederickmdfiremuseum.org[/url] in Emmitsburg, MD.