Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCEAN CITY VFC, MD
update= new E\-One 100' tower on production line now.

KME eng-tnkr will be ordered very soon

Quote:while I was going back to the hotel in West Ocean City, there was a very heavy odor of gasoline on Rt. 50, so I decided to go back to Sta. 5 to see if anyone was around if a call would come in. sure enough, as I got there they got dispatched, and the rescue went on the call. went back to the hotel and came back an hour later and finally, after 5 years of trying, I got the rigs in that house! we'll start with the oldest, its a beauty. i know its lettered E8, but it used to be E5 and they still call it that, so thats how I carry it.
Below are pictures I took of the rig after it was involved in the accident back in June of 2002.  It happened in Halifax Township in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania and approximately 15 miles from the Swab Wagon Company plant.  I know the accident happend the night before the annual Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Convention and the engine and truck were towed to a facility that is in my area and on the way down to the convention me and my father stopped to look at the wreckage and I got these pictures.  I know the engine had already been refurbished when the wreck happened and if I remember correctly it was a rainy night and the truck lost traction in a "S" turn and hit the guard rail and the chains holding the engine on the trailer snapped and then engine rolled down the embankment.  The truck was taken back to Swab's where it was refurbished again and came out as can be seen in the above picture.

[Image: OldEnginewreck_zps9e531f97.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck1-1_zpsaf03e1a1.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck2_zps250bf01d.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck3_zpsf3b070fb.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck4-1_zps7893cd26.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck5_zps9f0d3ee9.jpg]

[Image: OldEnginewreck6_zpsb8959bc0.jpg]

Jesse Shutt

Fisherville Volunteer Fire Company #1 (Dauphin Company 216)

Upper Dauphin County Emergency Medical Services (Dauphin Company 6)

Past President Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Association

Upper Dauphin County Fire Historian
Will the new tower be a rearmount or midmount? I'm guessing its replacing the snorkel. What units will the new tanker replace?
wow, that was some accident! I am figuring they took the old body and put it on another 53 chassis, no? no fixing that one up, at least from the frame rails up.
i believe it was rebuilt from the ground up
Quote:i believe it was rebuilt from the ground up
The complete truck was rebuilt because they wanted it that way.  I never saw those shots before.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
I never realized Old Engine 8 was wrecked so severe! Great Job in 

resurrecting it. Here is a shot of it at a Muster in Baltimore's Inner Harbor back in the late 80's. DanEvans photo.

Quote:i believe it was rebuilt from the ground up
Info for all on this rig.

Bruce

1953 Ford F800/American, full cab, 500/400, gas motor, 155HP, manual transmission, American-Marsh Duplex Multistage Centrifugal pump, placed into service in 6/53, was sold by the Glenn Culbert Co. of Washington, DC, taken out of service in 1982, was kept as an antique, at some time the cab roof was painted white, refurbed in 1983, in 2002 it was sent to SWAB in PA for another refurb, on the way home on 6/6/02 outside of Halifax, PA, it was being transported on a trailer being pulled by HaZmat 21 (1974 GMC tractor), it slide on the wet roadway and overturned damaging it extensively, which required it to be rebuilt by SWAB, Engine 5 originally – changed to Engine 8
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Quote:Info for all on this rig.

Bruce

1953 Ford F800/American, full cab, 500/400, gas motor, 155HP, manual transmission, American-Marsh Duplex Multistage Centrifugal pump, placed into service in 6/53, was sold by the Glenn Culbert Co. of Washington, DC, taken out of service in 1982, was kept as an antique, at some time the cab roof was painted white, refurbed in 1983, in 2002 it was sent to SWAB in PA for another refurb, on the way home on 6/6/02 outside of Halifax, PA, it was being transported on a trailer being pulled by HaZmat 21 (1974 GMC tractor), it slide on the wet roadway and overturned damaging it extensively, which required it to be rebuilt by SWAB, Engine 5 originally – changed to Engine 8
Bruce,

Any photos of it with the white roof, never seen that one either.

DanEvans
Quote:Bruce,

Any photos of it with the white roof, never seen that one either.

DanEvans
Dan,

I never uploaded a pic to this site.  If someone sends me a step by step process, I can try it.  I am not that computer savy.

ba000049@aol

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Quote:Dan,

I never uploaded a pic to this site.  If someone sends me a step by step process, I can try it.  I am not that computer savy.

ba000049@aol

Thanks,

Bruce
1. Hit either quote link below the "reply to this topic.".

2.Select "More reply options"

3. Scroll down to Attach Files

4. Click Browse which will let you scroll through your files to find the photo.

5. Click, double click or do whatever is required to place the file in the browse box

6. Below the browse box, click "Attach this File."  File must be smaller than than 200kb.

7.  At some point you can add comments.

8. Click add reply at the bottom of the page

I've enjoyed this topic.  I like these department profile type posts. 

Thanks all.

Joe

I have and still wonder when and why it began as Engine 5 and became Engine 8? I have it in a lousy photo as E8 back in 1974 running from 15th Steet then known as Station 2 before it was enlarged.
[Image: 1011_0040.jpg]

1981 Sutphen 1250-500 (no build plate found) Engine 1 Matador, TX (ex Ocean City, MD)

Left Front View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0044.jpg]

1981 Sutphen 1250-500 (no build plate found) Engine 1 Matador, TX (ex Ocean City, MD)

Left Side View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0046.jpg]

Left Rear View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0048.jpg]

Rear View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0049.jpg]

Right Rear View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0052.jpg]

Right Side View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0055.jpg]

Front View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 1011_0054.jpg]

Right Front View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=101933]