Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kensington, PA Bureau of Fire
The 1933 Ford/Alcoa built engine to serve as Engine 5.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
In 1956, the city purchased 2 Ford F-750/American LaFrance engines to serve as Engines 4 & 5.  These had 750 gpm twinflow pumps and 300 gallon booster tanks. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Taken in 1963, this shot shows the equipment of No. 5.  Station 5 was located in the east side of the city municipal building.  The 1956 Ford/ALF, the 1958 Buick ambulance and the 1957 Dodge station wagon.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A delivery shot of the FMC;'s that served Engines 4 & 5.  In this shot Engine 4 is on the left and Engine 5 the right.  Standing from left to right is the late Jack Mast, Asst. Chief of No. 4, the late Paul Schreckengost, public safety director, Fire Chief J. Edward Saliba, and Frank Lemon.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Engine 5.  Taken in 1988.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine 5 after the front bumper was extended and the trashline added along with compartments under the sideboards by 4-Guys.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Were the "stations" permitted to design the piece for their best interest? i.e. Pic # 124...Eng.4 has Ladders on officer's side.Whereas Eng.5 has Hard Suctions. 5 has a "Q2"..4 doesn't.

When a station is due to have an engine replaced, a committee of officers of that station will have their specs and draw them up.  The chief of the department will look at them and make sure that the pump size, tank and other equipment meets the necessary fire load of that district.  It this case, the city was not going to spend the extra money for a Q siren, so the members of Station 5 had the Q off an old ambulance installed on their engine along with Whelen Max Beam strobes.  No. 4 opted to keep the flashers and the electronic siren.  No. 5 responds across the Allegheny River into Tarentum borough and their assignment was to draft from the river.  When they received their engine, they took the hard sleeves from Engine 1, (the 1960 American LaFrance) and mounted them above their ladders.  It was very hard to press mayor & council to buy 2 engines at that time.  But they decided to go for the purchase.  They went from the Ford's to these Kenworths.  It was a huge upgrade.  From no pre-connects or rear discharges to 2 pre connects and a 2.5" rear discharge.  From a 300 gwt to a 750 gwt.  The diesel engines were the best upgrade with the extra torque and horsepower.  Hope this helps.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed, Many Thanks.Didn't notice the Ladders under the Hard Suctions..Duuuhhh  Good to see some "liberties" can be taken.Even re~using equipment that is frowned upon in quite a few places!

quite a nice insight on the K-whoppers Ed.  thank you!!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)

Old Service 5, this was purchased from Slippery Rock VFD and repainted.  It carried a 10,000 watt generator.  This Chevy C-30 was recently sold to a fire protection district in Idaho.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Service 5.  This 1996 Spartan/American Fire Apparatus served Wayne Township Indiana.  No. 5 purchased this truck in 2011 and it is equipped as the rehab truck of the bureau.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Another pic of the newest addition to Engine 5, this time with most, possibly all, of the lettering done.

Jason I was wondering if I would be able to share the photo of the new engine 5 with some people from my area so they can see where it is now
Jason I was wondering if I would be able to share the photo of the new engine 5 with some people from my area so they can see where it is now
Sure, go ahead.  I will get more photos of it in the coming days hopefully before it heads to 4 Guys for some work.  Also, there will be a little more lettering work going to go on it.

Jason, is that an actual picture of the truck outside, or is that cropped in?

Beautiful truck for it's age!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Trav,  the pic is outside.  I just photoshopped it to make it "pop" a little more since it was an overcast and dreary day.  It was the first time we had it out with all of the lettering on for the parade.  Here is the original image.

Yes, the previous 2 owners kept it in great shape and we plan to keep it looking like new for as long as we own it.  We may not be able to afford the newest and best equipment, but the pride for our rigs is second to none.

A shot of the first line rigs of the bureau in 2010.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief