Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
On April 17th thanks to the LAFD Command Staff Engine 209 will go back into service as a second fully manned Engine Co out of Fire Station 9.

[Image: IMG_20160312_123805211_zpsen4zxiro.jpg]

Patient compartment of an LAFD Rescue.
Former LAFD Emergency Air 1

1948 Mack

Was replaced in 1984, just prior to the Olympics, that were held in LA, and was given to the LAPD Dive Team.  Most likely salvaged by now.  Taken at Dodger Stadium in 1981 during a muster.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s969.photobucket.com/user/LAFD42/media/Los%20Angeles%20CITY%20Fire/Specialized%20Units/img365.jpg.html">[Image: img365.jpg]</a>

Engine 43

1972 Ford/ALF

1000/400

[Image: img483.jpg]

LAFD Squad 27

1972/early 90's Ford/ALF.

Formerly Engine 106

Some of the Ford/ALFs were rebuilt by the FD Shops, into the first USAR and HM Squads.

[Image: img455.jpg]

Quote:LAFD Squad 27

1972/early 90's Ford/ALF.

Formerly Engine 106

Some of the Ford/ALFs were rebuilt by the FD Shops, into the first USAR and HM Squads.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s969.photobucket.com/user/LAFD42/media/Los%20Angeles%20CITY%20Fire/Old%20LAFD/img455.jpg.html">[Image: img455.jpg]</a>

Would you happen to have a walk around in your collection showing the opposite sides and rear of this unit and the engine before it?  I like to build models and for some

reason I've always really liked the Ford cabs and these units are kind of cool looking which might make a neat model.

Thanks,

Kris
Chuck Madderom's LAFD book says that these were originally delivered in 1972 with ALF bodies as 1000/400 pumpers. 14 were delivered. In 1984, 4 had their bodies replaced with Royal Body Company squad bodies and went to Hazmat Squads 4, 27, 39, and 48. In 1992 they became USAR apparatus.
Quote: 

Would you happen to have a walk around in your collection showing the opposite sides and rear of this unit and the engine before it?  I like to build models and for some

reason I've always really liked the Ford cabs and these units are kind of cool looking which might make a neat model.

Thanks,

Kris
Kris,

I'll have to double check on any other angles.  I know for a fact that i may not have a shot of the rear end. Still sorting and making some order of dozens and dozens of pics to be scanned.  I will see abt the "before" pics.

Casey
Emergency Air 1 (EA 1)

1984 White/American Bristol

This replaced the 1948 Mack posted earlier.  This has since been replaced in the last 6-7 yrs, with the current EA 1.

[Image: img545.jpg]

Current EA 1

[Image: lfdea1.jpg]

http://www.goldenwesttoweq.com/New-Heavy...bilt/6013/

Photos of LAFD's new HR 56.

For the upcoming fiscal year LAFD is seeking $18.041 Million to purchase a new Augusta AW139 helicopter to replace one Bell 412s. $23.129 Million in MICA Funding to replace 5 Ladder trucks, 9 engine co's, 15 ambulances, 9 Emergency command vehicles, 20 emergency sedans, 10 Crew cab pick up trucks, 40 Non emergency electric sedans, 30 emergency non electric sedans, 7 EMS Battalion Command vehicles, 4 15 Passenger vans, 2 Forklifts
[Image: 640_zpsehsrptih.jpg]

Four of the five CAL-EMA Engine's assigned to the LAFD. The 5th engine was parked out of view.
Quote:[Image: 640_zpsehsrptih.jpg]

Four of the five CAL-EMA Engine's assigned to the LAFD. The 5th engine was parked out of view.
How will these be deployed; are they for use on large scale brush fires or also intended for use in an urban setting?
I have seen them in use during this past January's rains when they were used to respond into flooded areas to rescue stranded motorists. LAFD has used them quite a bit on a few of there own brush fires but for out of city deployments CAL-EMA formerly CAL-OES

[Image: 256_zpsrou6ilhz.jpg]

Engine 98 out of Pacoima.
Quote:How will these be deployed; are they for use on large scale brush fires or also intended for use in an urban setting?

If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I lived in California) the CalEMA resources are "given" to local departments and can be used locally with the understanding that if the resources are needed for a strike team, the local department has to staff it and go.  Those are Type 3 engines.  I believe there's a handful of Type 1 engines, some USAR rigs, and water tenders as well.
[Image: 166_zpssfaj0g3g.jpg]

Engine 27 on Strike Team assignment.
Are any of the new Tillers in service yet?
Last I heard still not in service but New Heavy Rescue 56 has already hit the streets.