Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview of FDIC Apparatus
Mount Horeb changed alot, from multiple siren's to ONE. No Roto-Ray . . whatsup ?  NFPA ?  

Quote:Mount Horeb changed alot, from multiple siren's to ONE. No Roto-Ray . . whatsup ?  NFPA ?  
Not an NFPA issue.  I believe that since Chief "Fire Truck Chuck" Himsel passed away, they're maybe going in a little different direction on some their purchases.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Joel,

I have to agree with some of your assessments.  We found burned out step light wiring on a rig.  Another rig that had all of the electrical components in the compartments covered with black electrical tape - no loom, no waterproof connectors, nothing hiding it from the elements.  One manufacturer that didn't install the roll-up doors correctly and had the wrong tolerance between the doors and body.  One manufacturer mounted an unprotected fuse block on the back of the sloped doghouse on a Spartan cab, just above floor level.  One kick of a firefighter's boot and it's done.

All that said, there was plenty of great rigs with excellent build quality on the floor as well!

As for your conversation, I truly have to wonder if this was the same manufacturer's rep that told me I wasted his time when I published my last set of specifications for a pumper for the VFD and that we only awarded our bid to the selected manufacturer because they got to make a sales presentation before he did.  Like you said, this guy was very condescending.

Ah well, can't wait for 2014!
I can't wait for 2014 either.  And with FRI in Chicago this year, that's exciting as well since it'll be so close.

I agree on the fact that some rigs were very well done as well.  Lots of folks brought their best.  Some of the stuff you see that were customer's rigs made me question if they had more money than sense, but I don't answer to their taxpayers so more power to them I suppose.

I'll try to PM to see if we ran into the same idiot out there...
Quote:I was at the Sutphen booth both days working.

I'd greatly appreciate any opinion on the 6 trucks we had there...good or bad. We greatly value your opinion and would welcome the criticism. It will make our product better.

Thanks in advance!!
Since I briefly was tied in with the Illinois Sutphen/SVI/UST dealer, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the Sutphen booth.  I did froth over the SL75 that was there.  I love the configuration and only wish the ground ladder access was a little lower.  While our Smeal quint demo we ended up with is a nice rig, I wish the Sutphen could have been considered but our budget from grant funds for a "used rig" wouldn't allow it. 
Quote:Since I briefly was tied in with the Illinois Sutphen/SVI/UST dealer, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the Sutphen booth.  I did froth over the SL75 that was there.  I love the configuration and only wish the ground ladder access was a little lower.  While our Smeal quint demo we ended up with is a nice rig, I wish the Sutphen could have been considered but our budget from grant funds for a "used rig" wouldn't allow it. 

That particular SL75 was an intermediate side body as you probably know. The low side is more accessible.

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote:Mount Horeb changed alot, from multiple siren's to ONE. No Roto-Ray . . whatsup ?  NFPA ?  

I seem to remember hearing that most of the extra lights and sirens were items that they had in house and installed themselves.  Someone was on a rant one day about taxpayer money, blah, blah, blah.  It was then explained that they did most of the extra siren and light work in house. 
Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
Quote:Not an NFPA issue.  I believe that since Chief "Fire Truck Chuck" Himsel passed away, they're maybe going in a little different direction on some their purchases.
That makes me sad.
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:I seem to remember hearing that most of the extra lights and sirens were items that they had in house and installed themselves.  Someone was on a rant one day about taxpayer money, blah, blah, blah.  It was then explained that they did most of the extra siren and light work in house. 
That makes me slightly happier.
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:I seem to remember hearing that most of the extra lights and sirens were items that they had in house and installed themselves.  Someone was on a rant one day about taxpayer money, blah, blah, blah.  It was then explained that they did most of the extra siren and light work in house. 

Correct, most of the Q's and Mars lights were recycled off of other rigs.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Gotcha, Thanks for the info fellas
In regards to the Sutphen booth, the only thing I'd say I'd like to see more of is either commercial cab trucks, tankers, or rescues. The last couple of years they've been crammed into that tight little area, and it's only ladders/platforms and engines.  I say broaden up the range of things you bring to the show, let people know what's out there, and give yourself a little more space to do it!  This, coming from a Sutphen fan!

Now, as for a couple of other manufacturers, I would have started off my "opinion" with, let's not even worry about coming back next year! Stirpot

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:You're exactly right, black-over-red is quickly becoming the new white-over-red.

Personally, I think that solid black rig has all kinds of sexy written all over it.

I've said this for awhile now! I used to think Black and Red was just plain awesome, now I think it's just plain.  I've said it 100 if not 1,000 times, Palm Beach Gardens Green is the way to go!

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:In regards to the Sutphen booth, the only thing I'd say I'd like to see more of is either commercial cab trucks, tankers, or rescues. The last couple of years they've been crammed into that tight little area, and it's only ladders/platforms and engines.  I say broaden up the range of things you bring to the show, let people know what's out there, and give yourself a little more space to do it!  This, coming from a Sutphen fan!

Now, as for a couple of other manufacturers, I would have started off my "opinion" with, let's not even worry about coming back next year! Stirpot

Trav!
Thank you, and I agree. I really wish we could get an area the size of Rosie/ Spartan/ etc. Gonna suggest they pony up a little more next year.
Thanks very much for posting I have enjoyed looking