Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Forest Service
[quote name='Monrovia1' timestamp='1303268233' post='435615']

[Image: IMG_4008.jpg]

Los Padres NF Engine 52.

[/quote]

Thank you, this is a nice example of the second generation of Model 62. I'm going through my photos and have not been coming up with a good example.

The Model 62B added a full hinged cover over the top compartments and hose bed, and returned to a crew cab chassis.
Aaron Woods
Sierra national Forest 2001 Model 62C, BME / IH.

The 3rd generation of the Model 62 was only built in 2001-2002. When IH replaced the 4900 with the 7400 in 2003, there were changes made to the design of the pumper body as well, leading to the 4th generation.

The large hosebed covers of the Model 62B were replaced with smaller covers only over the center (hosebed), and the compartments alongside got their own seperate doors. They also added an Allison 6 speed automatic transmission, replacing the manual transmission with split rear axle traditionally used by the USFS.

400 gpm pump, 500 gallon tank

Photo by Aaron Woods

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaron Woods
Trinity National Forest patrol truck

Credit Shasta - Trinity National Forest archives

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
San Bernardino National Forest Engine 11, this was the prototype for the Model 62C, and features a few extra gizmos like a CAFS unit and the remote turret on the bumper.

Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
Sierra National Forest Engine 51, 2005 Model 62D, BME / IH. With the new chassis the pumper body was lengthened about 16" compared to the Model 62C.

400 gpm pto pump, 500 gallon tank

Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
[Image: IMG_4012.jpg]

Side view of Los Padres Engine 52.
What kind of structural firefighting equipment is carried on USFS apparatus? Do the guys have structural turnout gear and airpacks for response to structure fires? I used to live in California and always wondered what the role was when they responded to fires other than brush fires? Do they carry rescue tools on certain apparatus?
[Image: 051_51.jpg]

Wildland and structual turnout gear used by USFS Firefighters.
[Image: 049_49.jpg]

Captain's portion of the engine.
[Image: 048_48.jpg]

If I'm correct USFS Engine's carry a crew of 5, 1 Eng, 1 Capt and 3 Firefighters.
Technically any non-wildland fire response is mutual aid, even when the incident is on forest land. Some forests actively support these responses entering into auto aid agreements, provide engines with basic equipment, encourage employees to complete EMT training etc, other forests require a specific request for each incident, and captains have to be creative to get the needed equipment and training (usually begging the local structure guys for surplus equipment and taking training on their own). The role of USFS personnel on these incidents is basically stabilizing the incident until the responders from the responsible jurisdiction arrive. Most engines try to have at least 1 EMT on the crew and carry a BLS medical kit.

It is Region 5 (California) policy that all engines carry at least 3 SCBA, none of the other regions have this policy, and as far as I know no forests outside California have decided to do so on their own.

In California only, SCBA and turnouts are carried on all engines, at least 3 sets and as many as 5 (staffing is 5) depending on the forest. It is intended for use only on outdoor fires (vehicle fires, dumpster fires etc) threatening the wildland. Policy allows for exterior attack on structure fires, but what that actually allows is a very grey area.
Aaron Woods
[Image: 050_50.jpg]

Nozzle's and other assorted equipment.
[Image: IMG_3978.jpg]

Angeles Chief 1.
[Image: 118.jpg]

Angeles Patrol 11.
Model 42, 95gpm pump, 285 gallon tank crew of 3. 199x IH, Sierra National Forest. Photo by Aaron Woods

The Model 42 was introduced in the late 80s (87-88) in Region 5 as a budget cutting measure. The USFS policy requires a crew of 5 on a Type 3 engine. The Model 42 was designed to fall just short of the Type 3 standards (120 gpm pump, 300 gallon tank) allowing the use of a smaller crew without losing much capability. It was built on a 16,000 GVW chassis (IH, Ford and Chevrolet). Technically it is a Type 6 engine, but the heavier chassis allowed far more engine than the typical 1 ton truck used for Type 6 engines. These engines fell out of favor in the mid 90s and the last were retired in 2001-2002 although some may still be floating around forest service shops as reserve engines.

These engines were not available with 4 wheel drive, but the low gearing and short wheelbase (126") made them very handy on the many logging roads found in Northern California. These engines were quite popular and fell out of favor due to administrative reasons (Type 3 captains were paid more than Type 6 captains begining in 1994-95). Personally these engines were my favorite and I hated to see them go.

The National Park Service also bought a number of these engines, but unlike the USFS these were not limited to use in California.

Aaron Woods
One of the first batch of Model 42s. Sierra National Forest Engine 14, 1988 IH S1600, 95gpm pump, 285 gallon tank. Credit Sierra National Forest archives.

Aaron Woods
Model 42, Ford F-700, Tahoe National Forest. Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
Model 42 Chevrolet, Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
While I was chasing Tornadoes in the midwest after crossing over from Colorado into Wyoming we stopped at a gas station to fuel up and a crew from South Dakota was heading down to Texas to assist with brush fires down there.

[Image: DSC_5038.jpg]

[Image: DSC_5046.jpg]

[Image: DSC_5047-1.jpg]
Aaron, thanks for this topic. It's very informative, especially now that I understand a bit more since my red card class.

I have a couple questions for you (or anyone who can answer them.

-Are all these rigs Pump and roll (I'd have guessed but just making sure).

-On the Model 61s is the door with window a small crew area?

-Do you have shots to see the difference in hose bed on the various model 62s?

-And how is apparatus assigned to different regions/stations?

Thank in advance and sorry if these are dumb/previously answered.

have a great 4th,

John
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]