Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memphis Fire Dept
Saw on the Pierce Facebook page of the new Memphis ladder truck lettered for T-24 with all wheel steering.

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
There were some photos floating around Facebook on it; however, due to the dictatorship in Memphis, you will not see any pics unless someone not affiliated with MFD post. Sad times in a great department. 

Photo posted by someone somewhere else...  Tisktisk

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Thanks for posting Taylor! I'm off Facebook now lol, so I don't have access to the photos anymore. I'm assuming they are trying this in lieu of a tiller. Where T24 used to be, I don't see where it would be beneficial. I remember these were big a few years back, but kinda fizzled out. Any pros or cons to the all-steer?

I wondered why I hadn't seen you post there recently.  ;-)

Although the old electronic AWS is still available from Pierce, this is the new all-mechanical AWS called the T3.  We had one of the T3 demo ladders at work for three days, and it was a hit.  I spent about two hours behind the wheel, and it was amazing.  The nice thing is that it requires VERY little training (20 minutes or so), and since it has no tail swing, the rear end will fit anywhere that the front end does.  Also, we drove across speed bumps at 35mph and barely felt them.  I predict you'll see A LOT of Pierce aerials with the T3 delivered...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
That's good to know, as we will be in the market for a new ladder soon. I'll have to send you my email so we can keep in touch until I'm back on the grid lol

I see these have super single rear axles.  We purchased/took delivery of a Pierce almost exactly one year ago (2014 Impel 1250/1000 Rescue pumper).  While going through the spec process I asked our Pierce salesman for this area about the possibility of looking into a super single rear axle.  He told me it couldn't be done and Pierce wouldn't entertain the idea.  Never even checked with Pierce.  

I see this truck has it (I KNOW the rear axle set up is different and is designed also for steering), but it makes me wonder if it could have been done.  We looked at one other company, and that salesman was awesome to deal with.  He went above and beyond for us and it was probably the hardest decision in the whole truck building process not to purchase from him....but when I took the salesman out and compared everything side by side on paper....Pierce won out.

Rambling done....my question is....is the single rear wheel something specific for this truck/All steer product, or is it possible to do it on a Fire Apparatus?

Quote:I see these have super single rear axles.  We purchased/took delivery of a pierce almost exactly one year ago (2014 Impel 1250/1000 Rescue pumper).  While going through the spec process I asked our Pierce salesman for this area about the possibility of looking into a super single rear axle.  He told me it couldn't be done and Pierce wouldn't entertain the idea.  Never even checked with Pierce.  

I see this truck has it (I KNOW the rear axle set up is different and is designed also for steering), but it makes me wonder if it could have been done.  We looked at one other company, and that salesman was awesome to deal with.  He went above and beyond for us and it was probably the hardest decision in the whole truck building process not to purchase from him....but when I took the salesman out and compared everything side by side on paper....Pierce won out.

Rambling done....my question is....is the single rear wheel something specific for this truck/All steer product, or is it possible to do it on a Fire Apparatus?

Super singles is something we offer
Quote:I see these have super single rear axles.  We purchased/took delivery of a pierce almost exactly one year ago (2014 Impel 1250/1000 Rescue pumper).  While going through the spec process I asked our Pierce salesman for this area about the possibility of looking into a super single rear axle.  He told me it couldn't be done and Pierce wouldn't entertain the idea.  Never even checked with Pierce.  

Pierce did it in the 90's on the Javelin model...
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Look at Hubbardston, MA's rear mount Crimson pumper.
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Michael, SWFD 514,  Pierce will entertain the idea, its called the same sales rep we have telling us what WE are going to get. Same as when we were told at Blue Mound that the TAK4 was not offered on the Enforcer chassis. Same sales rep that has never stepped in our firehouse since selling us an engine that needs 2 empty 5 gallon buckets to carry the parts that fall off of it. Our 19 yr old E\-One is still 10 times the rig the 5 yr old Pierce is.

Quote:Here is the Floodlight trucks current condition. It is my understanding it is still owned by the city and was driven to its current location, parked and left to deteriorate. Sad, so very,very sad.

Photo courtesy of LarryC

[Image: FireLightTruck.jpg]

This truck was saved and being restored by Mr. Bill Adelman . Here is a link to some pics on another site.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/458135134229257/

just out of curiosity who was that salesman I used to be a Pierce sales rep back in the early 2000's up in northern illinois
Chief I won't directly say, however he has been a Pierce rep for central Illinois since clear back in the old Glazebrook days.

I am not going to say who because word travels in small circles..  Simply put....my opinion is just that....MY opinion.  It in NO WAY represents the Fire Department I am a member of.  I really like how our truck turned out, and would love to purchase another Pierce. I just didn't agree with some parts of the sales process and some parts I really liked.  The build and purchasing experience was great, except for taking delivery in the winter.  Next time, we are taking delivery in warmer months.  

Here is an image of the flood light truck in its better days.

Unknown Photographer.

Attached Files Image(s)

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
hmmm I think I have a good idea who it is if I remember the territories right and yes I can fully understand your frustrations 22_yikes Smash Trust me I DO understand Icon_redface

Memphis Fire Department

Engine 2

[Image: IMG_3580-L.jpg]