Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Carr Photos
[quote name='unMARKedCARR' post='245374' date='Sep 8 2008, 19:49 ']And last from Holly Springs, and formerly from Pumpkintown, SC, is this unknown year Ford 850/Pirsch 750 GPM bearing #PK25. Any help you experts can give on these would be appreciated.

Mark Carr photos.[/quote]

Pirsch #PK-25 shows to have been a 1967 Ford C850 delivered to Liberty, SC in December of 1967.

It was delivered with a Hale QLD75-4 pump. I dont have any other information.

Tommy
Quote:QUOTE (unMARKedCARR @ Sep 8 2008, 19:49 )

And last from Holly Springs, and formerly from Pumpkintown, SC, is this unknown year Ford 850/Pirsch 750 GPM bearing #PK25. Any help you experts can give on these would be appreciated.

Mark Carr photos.

Pirsch #PK-25 shows to have been a 1967 Ford C850 delivered to Liberty, SC in December of 1967.

It was delivered with a Hale QLD75-4 pump. I dont have any other information.

Tommy

The paint job is only a few years old. When we shot it at Pumpkintown, it wasn't lettered yet. The pump is a 750 GPM, as Tommy said. We were told the tank hold 680 gallons. No idea if that's the original tank. Jon U. might have a shot of it when it was at Liberty and might know about the tank size then.
Well, moving right along, the next day, Saturday, young Andrew and I ventured up to Tennessee and parts between to shoot some rigs. Weather was cloudy and sprinkling at times but we shot rigs anyway. Sorry the pictures aren't perfect. First up was Andrew's recently rebuilt "Box 'O Water" from John's Crick, NC Fire Dept. It's a 1999 International 4800/1989 Firemaster/2008 James Welding 300/1800 Tanker as Tanker 2392.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Next, we ventured over into Cosby, TN and reshot a rig just "because it was there." It was the only thing sitting out so I figured I'd shoot it just in case this turned out to be a better picture - it didn't. Anyway, it's a department built tanker on a 1992 Ford F700 chassis. It carries 1800 gallons of water and has no pump.

Mark Carr photo

On we mosied to the Pitman Center, TN Vol. Fire Dept. We shot all of the trucks with the exception of one which was missing the motor water pump. Oh well, better luck next time. First here is Wildland 71, a 2007 Dodge 3500/Local 250/250/20F brush rig.

Mark Carr photo

Probably my favorite of the day was their ladder truck, a 1978 American LaFrance Century Ladder Chief 100' as Ladder 1. It was refurbished somewhere along the way, I think by ALF, but I'm not sure.

Mark Carr photo

Next up is this classic, a 1968 American LaFrance 900 1000/500 Pumper as Engine 72 #16.1.985, Ex-Sevierville, TN.

I kinda liked the beacon on the roof so I got a close-up of it too.

Mark Carr photo

I think this rig was the highlight of young Andrew's day, especially seein's how he got to ride in the officer's seat as the operator ground the gears along for a couple of miles. Darn, the young whipper-snappers thought this rig was really something to see and hear but I spent many hot days riding in the jump seat or driving one of these old beasts back in my hayday.

But, that was way back when they weren't even a glimmer in their young mama's eyes. But, I digress - this rig is a 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador 1000/500 Pumper as Engine 73, #80-694, Ex-Erie Hose Co Susquehanna, PA, Ex-Toptan, PA, Ex-Parrottsville, TN.

I did manage to shoot a picture from the jumpseat and we rumbled along the mountain highway.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Image(s)

.   1973_Ward_LaFrance_Ambassador_1000_500_Pumper___Engine_73___80_694___Ex_Erie_Hose_Co_Susquehanna__PA__Ex_Toptan__PA__... (Size: 88.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
I kinda liked this old beast, kinda different looking. Tanker 72 is a 1986 Ford 8000 that I think was built by Deep South and is a 250/1800 Tanker.

Mark Carr photo

Engine 76 is a 1993 Spartan/Quality 1000/500 Pumper, #M757, Ex-Dekalb County, GA.

Mark Carr photo

Rescue 71 is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee.

Mark Carr photo

Engine 75 is a 1996 Ford/KME 1250/1250 Pumper, GSO#2980.

Mark Carr photo

Pitman Center's Engine 74 is this 2005 International 4400/Wynn 1250/1250 Pumper, #92037.

Mark Carr photo

The guys at Pitman Center were pretty proud of this neat new brush rig. It came complete with satelite radio and is a 2008 Dodge 3500/Local with a 250/250/20F skid unit.

Mark Carr photo

Probably the worst shot of the day is this nice looking rig. Between powerlines, clouds and just a difficult location, the picture just wouldn't come out. Anywho, it's the last one we shot at Pitman Center and is a 2005 International 7400/Midwest 1000/1800 as Tanker 71.

Zack and his coworkers were very cordial and accomodating to us by pulling out and posing each of their rigs. We appreciate their efforts.

Mark Carr photo

Quote:Engine 76 is a 1993 Spartan/Quality 1000/500 Pumper, #M757, Ex-Dekalb County, GA.

DeKalb had six pumpers like this one, three 1992's and three 1993's. One of the few differences was the reflective striping. The 1993's went in service at Engines 4, 5, and 11, but Station 4 was later closed, and theirs became Engine 15. I have no idea which of the three this one is.
[quote name='unMARKedCARR' post='245670' date='Sep 9 2008, 19:21 ']I think this rig was the highlight of young Andrew's day, especially seein's how he got to ride in the officer's seat as the operator ground the gears along for a couple of miles. Darn, the young whipper-snappers thought this rig was really something to see and hear but I spent many hot days riding in the jump seat or driving one of these old beasts back in my hayday.

But, that was way back when they weren't even a glimmer in their young mama's eyes. But, I digress - this rig is a 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador 1000/500 Pumper as Engine 73, #80-694, Ex-Erie Hose Co Susquehanna, PA, Ex-Toptan, PA, Ex-Parrottsville, TN.

I did manage to shoot a picture from the jumpseat and we rumbled along the mountain highway.

Mark Carr photo[/quote]

Ahhhh yes the sweet sound of that Detroit Diesel... I remember cutting my teeth in the fire service on the Ward we had at Lake Park.I spent many a hot-cold or rainy night in that jumpeat...Even rode tailboard a few times going to training and on calls.Great shots Mark
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Nice pics Mark! Just a few addendums to your pics...

-Jonathan Creek's new tanker is a 2008 Jaynes Welding tanker, and its called "Tanker 2302"

-Pittman Center WildLand 71 had an American Fire Industries skid unit in the bed

-Pittman Center Ladder 71 is ex-Bowling Green, KY "Ladder 1", and ex-Bedford Heights, OH "Truck 1" (please tell me someone has the Reg. #!!!) (This truck started out as a 1971 ALF 900 Series 100' Ladder Chief, but was refurbed with a new/used cab in 1998 by American LaFrance)

-Pittman Center Engine 73 served at Topton, PA before being sold to Parrottsville, TN, and now to Pittman Center, TN.

-Pittman Center Tanker 72 is ex Catons Chapel-Richardson Cove, TN "Tanker 113"

-Pittman Center Engine 75 is an ex-KME Demo truck

-Pittman Center WildLand 72 had a CET skid unit in the bed

Can't wait to see how your Gatlinburg pics came out!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

Andrew/Mark,

Info on the Ward LaFrance engine from Al Powell's files:

1972 Ward LaFr Ambassador, canopy cab, 1000/500, in fall,1980 purchased from Erie Hose Co.-Susquehanna,PA by Topton (Berks County, PA) when two fire cos. consolidated, diesel-manual trans, on 9-28-93 sold to retired fireman in Greenville,TN

who was starting rehab business-to be rehabed and sold to Parrotsville (Cocke Co.),TN co.-several expressed interest-driven from Topton to Greenville-12 hr trip, pump tested prior to sale-delvd 1279 gpm, body was badly rusted, reg.no.80-694, re-sold to Pittman Center (Seiver Co.),TN-Eng.73-re-painted RW.

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Thanks for the updates, Gentlemen. Part of the problem was just fat fingers, not eronious information.

Mark