Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Littleton, CO 3rd Alarm & Mayday 8-11-14
I am thinking it is DEF
Quote:Is the operator putting foam in Engine 11 or is that DEF?

Good question!  They had been using some foam for overhaul and at a glance that's what I assumed it was... But on closer inspection I think it's DEF.

Is that seriously a thing with DEF, you have to pour it in on extended scenes, but 3 nonetheless?!? Genius idea to put this on fire apparatus... Blink

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Is that seriously a thing with DEF, you have to pour it in on extended scenes, but 3 nonetheless?!? Genius idea to put this on fire apparatus... Blink
I asked our department fleet chief about it and this was his reply...

"Is it normal? Not really but it will be in the future.  Do they need to carry so much? Maybe, depends how often the truck regens and how much DEF it uses.

I’m guessing the truck was probably low on DEF to begin with and then with the longer operation it got to the point it was sounding alarms.  It may have regened once or twice while on scene as well which means if it was low to begin with, now it was really low on DEF. The DEF tanks on the newer trucks hold 6-8 gallons and the DEF containers we carry and he has are 2.5 gallons.

With the new EPA requirements and technology don’t be surprised to see this more often during long operational periods.

Our crews carry at least one if not two DEF jugs on the newer PUC’s.
"
That is DEF. I would think they would have a larger storage tank on them. My 2014 GMC 3500 has a 6 gal tank. I know my truck will start to "cut back" on engine power if the DEF gets below a certain %.