Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omaha, NE - Working Fire - September 20, 2014
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:Rescue 33 was running with a spare E-One.
That looks like the rig I photographed as Rescue (hazmat) 60 last September.

As for the Reserve Trucks im not positive on the number system however I did photograph a Truck 9 and saw a Truck 19 & 39.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:All Omaha trucks are dry (no pump or tank). 

I haven't quite figured out the numbering system in Omaha. All units share the station number (E61, T61, M61). I believe the first digit is the battalion number.

I have noticed that reserve engines have '8' as the second number (even through there is a front-line E78) and the reserve trucks and rescues have '9' as the second number.
Keep up the great photos love seeing the Omaha Fire Divison OFD.

Yes it is an insane numbering system. It does not make sense to me. It is designed to be numbered by Battalion. Battalion 1 is 1-5 Battalion 2 is 20-29 Battalion 3 30-39 ect. They have around Twenty Four Engines, Nine Trucks, Three Rescues, six Battalions. I have found members can't even remember how many companies they have due to the numbers. OFD used to be traditionally numbered some of the older fire houses still have original numbers on them. The other fire houses have the original lettering with a new number in different font. I know Station 31 was originally Fire House 5. The OFD 5 is in the stone above the bay doors. The best I can tell the system changed some time in the 1970's or 1980's. They started moving back to red ten or eleven years ago. Although OFD used to have beautiful dark solid red machines as their historically accurate color. The new red is very bright but much better then cream over yellow. They moved back to traditional helmets ten years ago. However it was decided the leather front or device would be not included. I have seen some members have removed the brass finial and wear the helmet derby style. I have also seen a number of members still wearing salad bowl helmets. They do great truck work and have successfully fought off the dysfunctional quint invasion and have maintained dry trucks. The tried and true engine and truck concept works well for them. Truck 31 at old Fire House 5 is a Dry Sutphen 70+ mini tower, pretty interesting and neat.
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:Keep up the great photos love seeing the Omaha Fire Divison OFD.

Yes it is an insane numbering system. It does not make sense to me. It is designed to be numbered by Battalion. Battalion 1 is 1-5 Battalion 2 is 20-29 Battalion 3 30-39 ect. They have around Twenty Four Engines, Nine Trucks, Three Rescues, six Battalions. I have found members can't even remember how many companies they have due to the numbers. OFD used to be traditionally numbered some of the older fire houses still have original numbers on them. The other fire houses have the original lettering with a new number in different font. I know Station 31 was originally Fire House 5. The OFD 5 is in the stone above the bay doors. The best I can tell the system changed some time in the 1970's or 1980's. They started moving back to red ten or eleven years ago. Although OFD used to have beautiful dark solid red machines as their historically accurate color. The new red is very bright but much better then cream over yellow. They moved back to traditional helmets ten years ago. However it was decided the leather front or device would be not included. I have seen some members have removed the brass finial and wear the helmet derby style. I have also seen a number of members still wearing salad bowl helmets. They do great truck work and have successfully fought off the dysfunctional quint invasion and have maintained dry trucks. The tried and true engine and truck concept works well for them. Truck 31 at old Fire House 5 is a Dry Sutphen 70+ mini tower, pretty interesting and neat.
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Great shots and good job on Omaha's part.

Dave