Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need adivce on a new camera.
After taking some time away from fire photography I've decided to jump back into it. I recently moved and my old camera is no where to be found.

I am now faced with buying a new camera.

My old camera was a Canon PowerShot S5IS, which I'm pretty sure is considered point and shoot, and I would like to make the jump to DSLR. I have been looking at reviews and comparisons of cameras lately and have come to like the Nikon D3300 bundle(Camera,bag,18-55mm,55-200mm) very much. But before I invest in a new camera I want to make sure it will do what I would like it to do and I'm hoping some fire photographers could lend a little bit of their knowledge and experience to me as I am still very green at photography in general.

1) Will the Nikon D3300 do night time scene photos well? Are there accessories I should be looking at that would help with this? Night time scene photos have always been my struggling point.

2) How do other fire photographers protect thier camera equipment when it is raining or snowing during an incident? I've noticed that most cameras do not have weather striping so my thought process is water will get inside and destroy the camera. Because im in the Midwest now, will extreme cold temps be an issue as well? I used to get my camera wet in the rain and snow at scenes before but I would wipe it off and go, it's never been something thats crossed my mind before.

Any advice or help is appreciated.