Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for anyone with knowledge of the Springfield, IL Fire Department.
How is the department implementing the ems squads? Are they stationed with the truck companies and staffed by the truck companies? I've read some articles from the on-line version of the local paper, but they don't get into much detail. Thanks in advance.

One of our guys got hired down there.  I'll ask, but in prior conversations with him, they bought (or were buying) one for every aerial.  When I say aerial, I believe every rig sporting an aerial now has a pump, as a couple were retrofitted by Alexis with pumps and tanks.  I also believe that what were once two company houses (engine, truck) won't likely be in the future.

I'll see what I can find out, and especially if what I put above is still true or was only rumor.
Quote:One of our guys got hired down there.  I'll ask, but in prior conversations with him, they bought (or were buying) one for every aerial.  When I say aerial, I believe every rig sporting an aerial now has a pump, as a couple were retrofitted by Alexis with pumps and tanks.  I also believe that what were once two company houses (engine, truck) won't likely be in the future.

I'll see what I can find out, and especially if what I put above is still true or was only rumor.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Quote:One of our guys got hired down there.  I'll ask, but in prior conversations with him, they bought (or were buying) one for every aerial.  When I say aerial, I believe every rig sporting an aerial now has a pump, as a couple were retrofitted by Alexis with pumps and tanks.  I also believe that what were once two company houses (engine, truck) won't likely be in the future.

I would also appreciate the information. I believe that Springfield has recently taken delivery of a new Pierce Arrow XT platform for T1 and a new 103' KME quint for T2. I also saw specs on the web for a 75' quint. Not sure if they were comparing prices on the quints or if they intended to buy two.
Here's the June 2012 bid package for a 75' quint:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.springfield.il.us/Purchasing/July%20Bids/RFP%20FD13-22.pdf'>http://www.springfield.il.us/Purchasing/July%20Bids/RFP%20FD13-22.pdf</a>
Straight from a Springfield guy:

They currently only run one light rescue out of their downtown station with an engine, ladder and chief's buggy.  They just got the new KME quint which replaces a dry ladder on the east side.  The engine currently stationed there will be replaced with a light rescue.  The other outlying aerial is already a quint and is supposedly getting a light rescue to run with it in the near future.  He has not been told yet how these light rescues will be manned.

The downtown truck (tower) will remain strictly a truck.  Glad I qualified my prior comments as being not 100% verified!

The KME dealer for Illinois is based south and by all appearances is a pretty well run organization.  I'm sure they'll take care of Springfield just fine. 

Quote:Straight from a Springfield guy:

They currently only run one light rescue out of their downtown station with an engine, ladder and chief's buggy.  They just got the new KME quint which replaces a dry ladder on the east side.  The engine currently stationed there will be replaced with a light rescue.  The other outlying aerial is already a quint and is supposedly getting a light rescue to run with it in the near future.  He has not been told yet how these light rescues will be manned.

The downtown truck (tower) will remain strictly a truck.  Glad I qualified my prior comments as being not 100% verified!

The KME dealer for Illinois is based south and by all appearances is a pretty well run organization.  I'm sure they'll take care of Springfield just fine. 
Thanks for the information.
Mac's Fire is in Litchfield, IL and he has been winning quite a few trucks as of late that Pierce had the market cornered on, Taylorville which placed a new KME engine in service last year was a Pierce city, as the salesman lives there and used to be on the dept. Springfield has a new chief who is looking at options instead of Pierce only now. Peoria had some KME's placed in service but recently went back to Pierce. Many small volunteer depts. in Central and Southern IL have been getting KME equipment. The latest besides Springfield was Nokomis taking a well decked out brush truck. Also Alexis had a Springfield Ladder that it appeared to be refurbing into a heavy rescue or something, ladder and turntable had been removed and they were adding cabinets and coffin compartments on top.