Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Buff / Historian / Firepixer Rusty Gill passes away unexpectedly
With a heavy heart I pass along the death of Rusty Gill (Firepics ID: Ed Freen) who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly while on a trip with his sons.  No arrangements have been made at this time.

With the passing of Rick Rudisill, Curt Elie, and now Rusty, our hobby and history have certainly suffered some major losses this year.

I'll update this thread as information is passed along.  Assistant Chief Defina of MWAA has been in contact with the Gill family and initially let many in the hobby know of Rusty's passing.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
I'm sorry to hear this sad news.  This has been a rough year.  My sympathies to the friends and family.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Gill.

very sad news, I always enjoyed discussing history with him.R.I.P.
Rusty was one of those guys who was passionate about fire department histories. I loved this since he was in the metro D.C. area and he had information on the numerous departments in the area. Personally, Rusty was a tremendous help to me when I did the book of the apparatus history of Loudoun County, Virginia. He provided me some great information. I mistakenly misspelled his name in that book, and have always felt bad about that. Rusty made sure that I knew it was ok. I appreciated that, but always felt bad. Truly a class act. He will be missed.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I'm sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
R.I.P. Rusty.... Such a sad loss.

Hi folks,

Just received this information regarding the memorial service for Rusty and wanted to pass it along:

Rusty’s memorial service will be held at 11 AM on Saturday, November 16. The location is as follows:

Millville United Methodist Church

http://millvillemethodistchurch.org/

Located At Corner of Atlantic Avenue & Club House Road

36405 Club House Road

Millville, DE 19967-1179

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also, please feel free to post the memorial service information above to other outlets (facebook, etc.).

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA