Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dutchess Community College Test Burn
On Saturday April 19, 2014 the Fire Science Club  of Dutchess Community College conducted 2 test burns at the Dutchess County Fire Training Center. The burn tested standard lightweight floor construction, consisting of 3 wooden I beams  supporting a plywood floor and 300 pounds of cinderblocks.  The I beams were supported by 2 walls of 2x4 and sheetrock construction, and the rear was blocked by plywood to prevent the wind from blowing fire and heat out the side.  All materials were donated by Williams Lumber.  The Roosevelt Fire District of Hyde Park, NY supplied an engine and a crew to provide the necessary hand lines

Here is a picture of the set up before the burn.  Fire load was provided by several pallets of wood, about 4 bales hay, and small part of section couch.

The support:

Firefighter from Roosevelt Fire District igniting the burn

63-13

As the fire progressed.  The fire looked like it was forced under pressure as it came out between the wooden I beam floor joists

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The wooden I beams lasted around 4 minutes before they began to fail. They sagged and very shortly after collapsed on to the fuel source

The second burn of the day was an 8 foot by 8 foot three wall pod with roof. It was constructed with non fire rated sheetrock over 2x4 studs.  The sheetrock was then covered with a foam insulation panel that was glued in place.  The fire load was a small piece of a sectional couch and about 2 or 3  bales of hay.

Close up of the construction

Fire shortly after ignition

Rapid fire growth

Large fire ball

A large plume of smoke was produced

Due to other classes being held on the field, the fire had to knocked down, to prevent the smoke from interfering

The total time of the burn was just under 3 minutes

Video of the burn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gVTx3PBoV0
Nice shots!
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Awesome.. gotta love lightweight const. I drive by this facility picking up and bringing my daughter back to school in hyde park.. great looking facility.