Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RK aerials
Does R.K. aerials still exist ?

I know they were bought by Rosenbauer years ago, but do they still produce ladders for other manufacturers ?

The only manufacturer that seems to sell their ladders is Carl Thibault fire trucks in Québec, Canada.

RK is now a division of Rosenbauer America, as noted.

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/corporate/rk/

They're now exclusive to Rosenbauer in the US.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Thanks.

Since we're talking about aerial ladders, would this listing of manufacturers be correct ?

Seagrave (includes Aerialscope)

Spartan ERV

Smeal (sells their ladders to Ferrara and now includes LTI/Snorkel)

Rosenbauser (ex R.K.)

Pierce (includes Bronto Skylift and snozzle)

E\-One

Sutphen

KME

HME

Does Alexis still sell aerials ?

What happened to Aerial Innovations ?

Aerial Innovations purchased LTI back in 1998, and then later became a victim of the ALF (who purchased AI and LTI) financial woes back around 2008.

Alexis does still aerials, but I can't tell you who's device they're using.

Toyne uses the private label Spartan aerial device.

4-Guys will do aerials as well (but have done very few), more than likely you'd be getting a Spartan aerial from them as well.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Alexis was using RK.

It's a shame the number of builders that were purchased by ALF and who disappeared. I guess that's the nature of the business ...

How about HME?
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
RKO stands for Rarely Keeps Operating.

Junk from what I have been told.

From what I could see on their website, HME seems to sell just a 80 foot ladder. Looks very similar to a RK, but they say that they build it.

I'll go and add HME in my list.

As of the last aerial that Alexis built for Pekin, IL delivered in April, it has a RK Ladder on it, last I seen RK was still offered to other mfg's like Alexis.

Quote:RK is now a division of Rosenbauer America, as noted.

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/corporate/rk/

They're now exclusive to Rosenbauer in the US.

Is this confirmed?  Rob K was adamant when I sold for Rosenbauer that he would continue to supply third party companies that bought from him when RK was small and Rosenbauer wasn't  anywhere near the size they are now, because they kept him in business.  Darley, Spencer, Marion and Alexis can all still use RK as far as I know.

RK did cut Toyne off after Toyne beat them on a bid for a department (Omaha I believe) and they got into a p@ssing match.  That's why Toyne is now selling Spartan's ladder.
Yes that's the case, there is an article on First Responder's website, however for some reason I can't paste links on this website.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Two other ladder questions :

Does Pierce still produce the Sky-Arm platform ?

Why do manufacturers still produce ladders with 250 lbs tip loads ? I know it has to do with jackpread and the number of stabilizers (2 vs 4), but I have trouble seeing why any FD would spec a 250 lbs tip load.
Pierce doesn't advertise the Sky-Arm on their site any longer.

The 250 tip load is probably fine for departments that primarily use ladders in a vertical arena more than horizontal.  Longer setbacks, where the ladder is more "horizontal" are where you need the higher tip load.  If you are more vertical on the ladder, you can load the tip heavier. Larger cities where they're climbing to a tall building (Chicago, FDNY) can use a medium duty aerial given the way they operate.

As an example our aerial has a 500 pound tip load at maximum horizontal extension and 0 degrees of elevation, and that load increases the farther you go vertical.

I can't find a good photo of an aerial chart to show you, I'll keep looking.

I think I seen one last year when we picked up our rescue but I would bet they don't sell many.

Terry

Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787