Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAS VEGAS FIRE AND RESCUE GOING WITH SMEAL
I was out at some of the stations today for the open houses and I heard from several firefighters that Las Vegas Fire and Rescue is not happy with the new Pierce Engines and that they are going with Smeal for the next round of rigs. One of the issues that the engineers were talking about is the fact that the rigs do not have the power to get out of their own way. Does anybody with contacts at Smeal have any information on if this is true or not?

Dave
i'm not sure about LVFD but I have heard from several in Illinois, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan who are looking at Smeal and others now over Pierce. Pierce isn't same anymore and hasn't been since becoming part of the corporation.

New emission standards have taken all the torque out of the motors, We have cummins in our KME and they are the same.

I agree the new emission standards are taking a toll on the motors and horsepower, either forcing dept's to go with larger apparatus or underpowered apparatus.

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
I understand from a source the Smeal order is up to 5 pumpers and there is a ladder truck order coming as well.
Quote:I understand from a source the Smeal order is up to 5 pumpers and there is a ladder truck order coming as well.
Do you have a time when the new rigs will be delivered?
Dave
Quote:Do you have a time when the new rigs will be delivered?
No
Quote:New emission standards have taken all the torque out of the motors, We have cummins in our KME and they are the same.
Can't blame everything on emissions. Our new pumpers have the 11.9L ISX 500hp and they will GO. Pumper weight is approx 42k
Quote:No
Thank you I was trying to get a jump on people.
Dave
Quote:Can't blame everything on emissions. Our new pumpers have the 11.9L ISX 500hp and they will GO. Pumper weight is approx 42k

I was going to say the same thing. I just left a factory inspection on a new engine with that motor and it flies.