Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferrara Aerials/Spartan Smeal?
I saw that Ferrara announced they are making their own aerials. Does this mean that they are no longer buying Smeal aerials?

The Ferrara aerial looks similar to KME aerials, is this new line from the ground up or in partnership with other REV brands?

Lastly, is Spartan going to continue all three aerial lines, Spartan, LTC and Smeal?
(05-16-2018, 10:51 AM)johndanger Wrote: I saw that Ferrara announced they are making their own aerials. Does this mean that they are no longer buying Smeal aerials?

The Ferrara aerial looks similar to KME aerials, is this new line from the ground up or in partnership with other REV brands?

Lastly, is Spartan going to continue all three aerial lines, Spartan, LTC and Smeal?

One would only assume with REV owning aerial designs via both E\-One and KME that it would only make sense to divorce Ferrara from their partnership with Smeal for aerials.  Count up the number of aerials Smeal sold last year as well as Ferrara sold and you will see that was a significant part of Smeal's business.  Going to be a big hit for Spartan/Smeal.

The Spartan aerials were based off the old LTI designs (now LTC), and literally built in the same facility as LTI's were built in during the old days by many of the same folks who built them originally.  So I would think the natural move there would be consolidate those 2 product lines into one, as it really wouldn't be much of a job to do so.  The Smeal aerials tend to be both physically larger and carry higher tip loads than the LTC's so there is probably some value in keeping both lines.  LTI was always built around low profile/short OAL urban rigs and usually appeal to a different market segment than Smeal does.

Just some speculation from a guy that used to sell Smeal.
The aerials appear to be KME aerials with a little modifications.

As far as Spartan, I understand they are already consolidating aerials. It doesn't make sense to maintain 3 brands of each type of aerial. You will probably see some form of hybrid of the LTC and Spartan aerial since they are built next door to each other. The Smell 125' rearmost and 105' rarmount are good design and should be kept but we will see where it washes out.

I can't see REV group keeping all their different brands either. At some point profit margin will have to be looked at.
The Ferrara/Smeal relationship is ending.  KME is supplying Ferrara with aerials.  The old Crimson-style aerials are also done - you order either a Smeal or LTC aerial.

Kent Parrish
I wonder how the Ferrara/FDNY contract figures into all this.  The aerial Smeal provided to Ferrara for FDNY was not an off the shelf product.  While I'm sure the REV folks could reverse engineer it, I wonder if this would allow the FDNY an out from their contract (should they want it).
(05-21-2018, 08:26 AM)alex3610 Wrote: I wonder how the Ferrara/FDNY contract figures into all this.  The aerial Smeal provided to Ferrara for FDNY was not an off the shelf product.  While I'm sure the REV folks could reverse engineer it, I wonder if this would allow the FDNY an out from their contract (should they want it).

I'm sure the contract with FDNY stipulates that Smeal deliver aerials until the contract is fulfilled.  Any new contracts will likely have to result in KME/Ferrara engineering their own solution.

As an example, Rosenbauer still built multi year contracts on Spartan chassis long after they started their own chassis line and parted ways with Spartan.