Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Alexandria, VA Fire Department
COG info came out back in Oct. stating that the Pierce TDA (that was T208) will be going to 3 after a while and the Tower will be at 8. As of yesterday the Spartan TDA was not in the city, shops or fire houses, the Pierce TDA was running from 4 and the old truck 4 was at 3 and spends its nights at 9 until everything is all settled.

Firefighter - Arlington County Fire Department

Tower Co. 4 - C platoon 

"The Rat Pack"

Former Firefighter - Bailey's Crossroads VFD
I'll collect some pictures I got of this service when I did a ride along with them back in February during the EMS Today conference. I was very impressed with this department and its operations. I rode with EMS Supervisor 232 ( my request to be with an EMS supervisor ), and had a great experience. He even went out his way to give me a quick tour of each station in between runs. Will get those pictures together and share in the coming days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Can anyone give more insight into any issues with the Spartan TDA?

I heard a rumor that the Spartan TDA failed aerial inspection upon delivery and has had nothing but issues since being delivered. Can anyone clarify if this is correct or wrong information?
Quote:Can anyone give more insight into any issues with the Spartan TDA?

I heard a rumor that the Spartan TDA failed aerial inspection upon delivery and has had nothing but issues since being delivered. Can anyone clarify if this is correct or wrong information?
I heard severe transmission issues . Don't know how accurate that is .
Trey White
A few more from my visit,

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Engine 209

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Engine 208

Drew James
GA Paramedic
ASAP

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Inside look

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Station 209 The most impressive station I've ever visited. Very nice quarters with its own gym inside. The upper floors are actually residential complexes.

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Station 201

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Haz-Mat Unit Stationed 209

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Haz-Mat Stationed 209

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Anyone from the DC know anything about this or can ask someone with AFD ties.... are they ditching a Truck for two Quints? 

The following is language from the City Managers proposed budget....

Additional increases are due to the higher cost of servicing the debt on the Fire Department’s apparatus ($243,805) with the proposed replacement of one large ladder truck with two smaller ladder trucks and maintaining the new Fire Station 210 ($199,050).

Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Quote:Engine 209
How are those new engines holding up?
Quote:Anyone from the DC know anything about this or can ask someone with AFD ties.... are they ditching a Truck for two Quints? 

The following is language from the City Managers proposed budget....

Additional increases are due to the higher cost of servicing the debt on the Fire Department’s apparatus ($243,805) with the proposed replacement of one large ladder truck with two smaller ladder trucks and maintaining the new Fire Station 210 ($199,050).

A source tells me that this is based on the the physical size of one of the aerials not fitting into some of the current stations, but the smaller model was.  I don't have anything more specific than that, however.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote: 

A source tells me that this is based on the the physical size of one of the aerials not fitting into some of the current stations, but the smaller model was.  I don't have anything more specific than that, however.

I thought it was the LTI Tiller that didn't fit one of the stations but that starting with the Pierce Tiller everything was going to be able to fit in 203, 204 and 208. Of course they would like a Truck at 205 but nothing will fit there
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Seems this thread has been dead for a while, but anybody know where Alexandria is running the 2013 Spartan midmount T/L now? I know Potomac Yards and 205 both got new Seagrave tillers and I think 208 is running the old Pierce TDA, not sure where the Spartan fits though. AFD's Wikipedia page seems to be very outdated. 

Also while I'm here might as well share some shots I got of the old ALF midmount at 205, I heard they sold it off when the new custom Seagrave was delivered. Caught it pulling out on its' way to a call last year.

Ex-Tower 205/203, 2004 ALF Eagle:

[Image: 28363009619_749f2e4dce_k.jpg]

[Image: 25271259437_14d699ad5b_k.jpg]

[Image: 25271261137_6901ef50cf_k.jpg]

[Image: 25271262667_557e2c32fb_k.jpg]

Truck 208, 2009 Pierce Arrow XT TDA, 100' ladder, seen doing a ladder test in an industrial park before heading out on a call:

[Image: 38930653195_f2db6f4500_k.jpg]

[Image: 38930655425_9d2e3630e9_k.jpg]
The Spartan midmount is a Reserve and was supposed to be sold.....2012 Spartan TDA along with the ALF rear mount are Reserves as well.ALF Midmout was sold to Zion Crossroads in Virginia at last check.

Close to order are 2 Seagrave Pumpers,Seagrave Aerialscope and a Seagrave Rescue and Hazmat.
Trey White
I thought this was sold when they got the new tillers in, but got lucky passing by the shops last weekend and saw this sitting outside. I guess they've had trouble finding a buyer, or they legit need another reserve even though they still have the ALF rearmount and the Spartan tiller. 

2013 Spartan Gladiator
93' midmount tower-ladder
[Image: 27574544497_df0187941c_k.jpg]