Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Fire Buffing in Chicago
22 really cranking on the deck gun

Attached Files Image(s)

22 on fire after the above photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Once again trolling through the archives I found some shots I took on February 15 1975. a 5-11 at 95 W Roosevelt in a big vacant warehouse. It was cold and snowy.Very overcast as well. . All the smoke was coming out of 42..they blew something in the engine with a loud boom and started smoking...eng 19 was going to hook up in their place. I wish I would have taken more shots but I had slow film and the lighting was very poor. If I had the gear I have now.......

Attached Files Image(s)

up on roosevelt rd

Attached Files Image(s)

pretty much down when we got in

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's a classic old CFD image...Back in the early 70's the late fire service author Paul Ditzel was authoring a new book on the history of firefighting..He spent several days with the CFD photo unit going over images to use..I was one lucky firefan because besides spending time with him in the photo unit I got to keep most of the photos that were printed up for the book. This is one of them. No location or date info on it, but snorkel 5 is the rig we see with the boom up...another snorkel is either moving or setting up..can't tell who though..and those with really sharp eyes can make out a big gun working..either from a squad or most likely a pressure wagon..A great photo to have in my collection and to share with you.

Attached Files Image(s)

I love this Thread. Some fantastic shots from back in the day.

Thanks for sharing and keep'em coming!
I really cranked up the wayback machine for this one...6/15/69 5-11 Alarm 1408 Indiana...I was all of 8 at the time and took this with my brand new Kodak Instamatic camera...hence the poor image quality. That is an Autocar squad working the turret gun...the first and only time I ever saw one in real life..I suspect it was a spare being used by a squad or pressure wagon maybe.....I remember 104 pulling out of the house and screaming for a 3-11..this was a 6 story building absolutely fully involved...right at rush hour on a weekday. I remember a photo in the paper (daily News??) showing an amazing fire condition.

I

Attached Files Image(s)

<div>This is an excellent photo taken by the late Dave Berger...Union Station July 26, 1980 4-11 alarm. I had just started in the office and was still a member of the 5-11 club canteen and helped man it at this fire. I think the companies were here for a fire in a restaurant some time prior and were called back to find this fire condition. I recall rescues were made of some people on the roof, and they was at least 1 fatality. This shot really earned Dave some accolades and was widely published.This has to be one of the iconic classic shots of the era.
</div>

Attached Files Image(s)

From a firefan from across the pond in the UK I absolutely love this thread, please, please - keep up the excellent work.

Just imagine having the technology and camera gear available today, to use back in that era!