Photo by Aaron Woods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
Twin Falls District (Idaho) Great basin spec

S&S / FL 85 gpm aux pump, 750 gallon tank

Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
This is a new Type 3 engine adopted by the BLM to replace thier Type 4 "Great Basin Spec" engine. It has a larger aux pump driven by a 4 cylinder Kubota diesel. The pump has also been relocated behind the cab allowing for a weight redistribution shifting the weight towards the rear wheels.

Pump 250 gpm aux pump, 880 gallon tank

Aaron Woods
Saw this on the KME Facebook page that they are delivering a Tatra 6x6 to this agency somewhere out west, anyone know from the markings on it where that might be?

http://www.facebook.com/kmefireapparatus...=1&theater
Idaho somewhere.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
ID-TFD would be the Idaho Twin Falls District. I know the BLM already has a few in Nevada. I've heard there are some at Battle Mountain and Ely.
Aaron Woods
Who bought all of the Ford/E-One pumpers years ago? I though it was the B of LM but I am not sure. I recall reading the specs for the pumpers. There were alot of contractual stipulations, such as a mechanic must be able to tear out a pump, install a new one, and get it back in service within "X" time frame once the parts were on-sight, and etc.
[quote name='rjtoc2' timestamp='1317072514' post='458153']Who bought all of the Ford/E-One pumpers years ago? I though it was the B of LM but I am not sure. I recall reading the specs for the pumpers. There were alot of contractual stipulations, such as a mechanic must be able to tear out a pump, install a new one, and get it back in service within "X" time frame once the parts were on-sight, and etc.[/quote]

Maybe you're thinking of the big batch that went to the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) back in the late 90's or so. If I recall, they were all Ford F-700's with E\-One bodywork with a 2 door cab, but I don't remember the other specs.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1317081041' post='458183']

Maybe you're thinking of the big batch that went to the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) back in the late 90's or so. If I recall, they were all Ford F-700's with E\-One bodywork with a 2 door cab, but I don't remember the other specs.

[/quote]

That was them.
I have always wondered why BLM was the largest user of Freighliner chassis while the International was the predominant chassis for wildland apparatus.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
BLM Truck I photographed while at Pierce's Florida Plant on 9/23/2011

[quote name='JFong' timestamp='1317106077' post='458231']

I have always wondered why BLM was the largest user of Freighliner chassis while the International was the predominant chassis for wildland apparatus.

[/quote]

I think that is just how the contracts worked out, weight could have something to do with it too. Maybe the IH scores better at the 26-28,000 lbs range of most type 3s since it seems like most of the FLs I've seen at the USFS and BLM are the heavy type 4 engines and water tenders. I was told that IH won the bid for the USFS Model 62 in 2001 because of a tape deck, FL only included an AM/FM stereo. If that is true it shows how close these bids can be.

It could also be FL put more effort into the BLM contracts or S&S (which built a ton of equipment for the BLM) had a preference for FL that influenced the contract language.

I know personal bias of a manager can get into contracts. Years ago my Fire Management Officer (District Chief) was a big Ford guy, one of the main reasons he pushed to replace our 1 ton type 6 engines with something heavier is at that time only Ford was offering a 1 1/4 ton truck (F-450) so he knew it would mean replacing our 1993 Dodge 350s, with 1999 Ford F-450s.

There is no shortage of IH trucks in the BLM, but again many of them are the type 3 engines.
Aaron Woods
BLM Engine 2311 - Phoenix District

2011 IHC/Pierce 500/500/20a  Type 14(?)

Note the metal plate attached to the top of the light bar - any idea what it is?

John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
BLM Type 6 from the Colorado Grand Junction District

Aaron Woods
Vale Hotshots out of Vale, Oregon.

Aaron Woods