Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stillwater, Oklahoma F.D.
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339096354' post='487778']

Great info, Ronnie. Thanks! Now the $50 question: Any photos from when they were in La.?

[/quote]

I'll see if I can find some. Ferrara used to have some photos in the "new deliveries" section of their website. Ferrara may have pulled the photos though because this entire "transaction" resulted in a less than amicable relationship.
Now I'm curious. What's the unique story behind the Ford/Wilson? Does it involve intrigue, suspense or anything shady?

[quote name='MFD 61 KS' timestamp='1339097108' post='487779']

I have heard the same about the Ambulance Service. It is always nice when the fire department can have control of both services fire and ambulance. I agree it makes for better service, more streamlined, and less red-tape in most instances.

There is a unique story behind the Ford/Wilson pumper and how Stillwater acquired it. Wilson I believe was a local builder in Arkansas.

The Ford-C/Boardman/LTI suffered a cab crushing injury from the Aerial Ladder if I remember right. It did some damage but not super severe however it took one of the red lights off.

Thanks for posting the Seagrave pumper. It reminds me of Lawrence, KS three solid RED 1967ish Seagrave's they were very similar.

Stay Safe,

Rick

[/quote]
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
The Ford C/Boardman/LTI 75 footer is serving in Chandler, OK, now Rick and is solid red. It never went to Wagoner, OK as I vividly remember when Chandler picked it up.

The Seagraves pumper was refurbed in '84 (IIRC) by Pierce and made a diesel/auto. Last I knew it was at Glencoe, OK VFD out east of Stillwater. Great running and pumping truck too.

The Ford C/Boardman factory photo was one of a handful that were all almost identical with a late 70's/early 80's model serving as Rescue 1 for years prior to the Saulsbury arriving on scene. It's been out at OSU Fire Service Training out west of town for years. We pumped my FF1 class with it years ago.

The State-owned tractor trailer at 1's is the regional Haz-Mat unit.

The light duty Chevy at 1's is designated as Squad 1 and handles Medical duties in 1's district and a big chunk of the rural areas. It is due to be replaced with the current BC's ride (the F-250 pictured) any day now with the BC's receiving a 2012 Ford Expedition.

The large brush at 2's is designated Brush 2 and was fabbed in house by SFD's mechanic over a long period of time in the late 90's.

The Smeal reserve at 2's was actually the ex-Engine 3 and it's virtual twin was at Engine 4 and was a 1989 model.

The ex-Engine 1 E\-One at 3's is in fact a 1000 gallon tank. Yours truly is pictured with it several times in the IFSTA Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator manual from when I was a Freshman at OSU.

I'm sure I'll think of something else to make note of.

An interesting note that after Larry Mulliken left SFD, the vehicle designations changed. They used to be Pumper's, Ladder's and Rural's. The new chief made them Engine's, Truck's and Brush's.
Nice Shots.
Great information, thanks! I was wondering what the small pickup at Station 1 was, but of course I didn't ask, for some reason. I figured it was some sort of utility vehicle. That's probably what I heard leaving the station one day when I was wandering around town. Something left on a call with an Electronic-Q (yuk), and I couldn'f figure out which rig it might be, since Engine 1 and Rescue 1 both have "real" Q sirens.

Any photos of the (former) Stillwater rigs floating around? About the only rig I don't have a picture of (maybe someone out there does) is the old "heavy" brush truck that used to run from 2's. I think it was a mid-70's Ford F-700 on a 4x4 chassis.

[quote name='fireman29b' timestamp='1339123335' post='487821']

The Ford C/Boardman/LTI 75 footer is serving in Chandler, OK, now Rick and is solid red. It never went to Wagoner, OK as I vividly remember when Chandler picked it up.

The Seagraves pumper was refurbed in '84 (IIRC) by Pierce and made a diesel/auto. Last I knew it was at Glencoe, OK VFD out east of Stillwater. Great running and pumping truck too.

The Ford C/Boardman factory photo was one of a handful that were all almost identical with a late 70's/early 80's model serving as Rescue 1 for years prior to the Saulsbury arriving on scene. It's been out at OSU Fire Service Training out west of town for years. We pumped my FF1 class with it years ago.

The State-owned tractor trailer at 1's is the regional Haz-Mat unit.

The light duty Chevy at 1's is designated as Squad 1 and handles Medical duties in 1's district and a big chunk of the rural areas. It is due to be replaced with the current BC's ride (the F-250 pictured) any day now with the BC's receiving a 2012 Ford Expedition.

The large brush at 2's is designated Brush 2 and was fabbed in house by SFD's mechanic over a long period of time in the late 90's.

The Smeal reserve at 2's was actually the ex-Engine 3 and it's virtual twin was at Engine 4 and was a 1989 model.

The ex-Engine 1 E\-One at 3's is in fact a 1000 gallon tank. Yours truly is pictured with it several times in the IFSTA Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator manual from when I was a Freshman at OSU.

I'm sure I'll think of something else to make note of.

An interesting note that after Larry Mulliken left SFD, the vehicle designations changed. They used to be Pumper's, Ladder's and Rural's. The new chief made them Engine's, Truck's and Brush's.

[/quote]
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339008757' post='487564']

Stillwater Fire Station 2 - 600 W. University Ave (on the OSU Campus). This building is owned by OSU and is on a 100-year lease to the FD, until 2030 or so.

It houses 1 engine, 1 reserve, 2 brush trucks and 1 technical rescue tractor-trailer that doesn't move much, so I'm told.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92236]

[/quote]

This is where I had most of my classes when I went to OSU. A classroom no more which is sad. Thanks for sharing! Brings back memories.
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339012999' post='487582']

About a year ago the City of Stillwater made the decision to outsource ambulance transports to LifeNet EMS out of Texas, after historically running their own units.

As part of the arrangement, Stillwater was able to keep the staffing and now assumes a first-responder role, along with LifeNet. The original Stillwater ambulances are now lettered for LifeNet, in their original colors.

LifeNet Stillwater Ambulance 212

200x Ford E-350/Taylormade

In looking at old Stillwater ambulance photos, this one may not be original to Stillwater. Even though they ran Ford E/Taylormade units, I don't think this one is ex-Stillwater.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92252]

[/quote]

Just by the looks i'd have to say this unit is from Lifenet Texarkana/Nash Tx. main base/headquarters. They run a lot of these type ambulance units down here in T-town.
[color="#FF0000"][size="2"]Jason Cherry

Engineer E-3

College Hill[/size][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.iafflocal502.com"]Texarkana, AR IAFF Local 502[/url][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw_bnS-qcds&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bollywoodsargam.com%2Fvideo_todayfeaturedvideo.php%3Fblockbustermovieclip%3Dpw_bnS-qcds---latest-Texarkana_Train_Derailment&feature=player_embedded"]Texarkana Train Derailment Explosion[/url][/color]
I apologize in advance for the small photos of the ex-Mandeville, Louisiana rigs that Stillwater purchased. I had some larger photos but cannot locate them. These will have to suffice until I find them.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='rjtoc2' timestamp='1341461129' post='491172']

I apologize in advance for the small photos of the ex-Mandeville, Louisiana rigs that Stillwater purchased. I had some larger photos but cannot locate them. These will have to suffice until I find them.

[/quote]

Great - Thanks for posting those. Would you mind if I shared them with the Stillwater guys? I'm sure they'd like to see what their rigs used to look like.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Thought this might belong here, the students of Oklahoma State University School of Fire Protection and Safety Technology own two apparatus. One of them this 1951 American LaFrance 700 Series and the other is an 1921 Athern Fox engine which is currently be restored in Texas. I will post the pictures of both as soon as I can get them under the required size
1951 American Lafrance 700 Series

Photo Credit- Bill Hilson

Attached Files Image(s)

Just found Stillwaters new Rescue on Ferrara's web site.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries.../5207.html

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks for posting. That Ferrara Ember chassis looks a lot like an HME chassis. It also seems as if they built a new body, rather than reusing the Saulsbury body from the old rescue.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

The Ferrara Ember is made for Ferrara by HME.

The Ignitet, Inferno and the S STEEL chassis for FDNY are made by Ferrara at its factory.
straying from the subject line somewhat, but I'm not too sure that Ferrara actually makes the FDNY cab and chassis, regardless of what the contract says. I have seen several photos of a FDNY cab and chassis in transport mode with HME mudflaps on them. if they were built in house as the contract says they are supposed to be, they wouldnt have mudflaps on them.
Quote:I'm always a little hesitant to post photos that aren't mine, but I wanted to share a few from my collection. I have had these at least 3 years, but I can't tell you who took them or where they came from. If anyone knows, I'll be glad to amend the credits. Otherwise, consider these as "Unknown photographer".

Stillwater Engine 7 - 1947 ALF 700 Series 1000/150

As far as I can tell, this rig still lives in Stillwater, in the hands of a local State Farm Insurance agent, I took this photo last week in Stillwater.
The Sireno light/siren was moved from the roof to the front of the cab (you can still see where it was mounted on the roof) and the rotating beacon was added, so I think it's the same rig.

Thanks for posting this older stuff.  Some of us love to see these rigs that are nearly as old as we are.

Joe
Just a question anyone know why those Ferrara rigs were refused by the original owners?

Quote:straying from the subject line somewhat, but I'm not too sure that Ferrara actually makes the FDNY cab and chassis, regardless of what the contract says. I have seen several photos of a FDNY cab and chassis in transport mode with HME mudflaps on them. if they were built in house as the contract says they are supposed to be, they wouldnt have mudflaps on them.
I'd love to know the truth about this. I've heard these rumors as well.
well, the photos that were on Ferrara's on site showing that are gone now, as the rig is further in production. however, if you look at the in production shot of H-5126, you can clearly see the photo of the rear end with the transport mudflaps in place.