Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Marathon Explosion
Multiple casualties are reported after at least two explosions were heard near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, Fox News report three have expired.  Sure hope Ed is OK. Praying for the dead and injured.

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Hearing reports of at least 50 injured, possibly 2 DOA.  CNN reporting 3 device found by FD.  Hope our brothers and sisters in Boston are safe.

Latest update I heard was 105 injured and 2 deceased...  I hope swift justice is brought down on the POS that did it..

What I post is my opinion only. Any questions or concerns, feel free to email me. If you like what you see with a photo or have a question, let me know.

Stay Safe!

Woody Woodward

FD Photographer

Rohrerstown Fire Company, Station 6-7

Lancaster PA

www.67fire.com
Reports are obviously all over the map. Facts are two devices were detonated in trash barrels along Boylston St near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Reportedly 2 confirmed fatalities & over 100 injured, some seriously. We still have 3 Engines & 3 Trucks staged at the scene along with numerous chiefs. The FBI is investigating this as a terrorist incident. A 12 block area of the Back Bay is cordoned off & will remain so until at least tomorrow as a crime scene. Please keep the victims & Their families in your thoughts & prayers tonight.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Prayers and thoughts to the deceased and injured! Hang in there to the Boston Brothers, BPD, and BEMS!
I hope Ed is ok. Wonder if he got in on the action?

Prayers go out to the victims and all the police, fire and ems working the scene.

From the pictures I have seen so far, looks like a lot of brave good samaritians helping the injured. God bless all of them.

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
Jason,

Thank you for the well wishes.  I stopped working the Marathon after a very long and tiring day of dealing with entitled runners telling me how to do my job of assessing their foot blisters in 1997.  I am not sorry or sad that I wasn't there.  I assisted in the training of at least 2 dozen people that were, and their actions were much more than heroic.  They ran in without any regard of secondary devices (and I'm sure we're gonna be lectured on that) and did the job that we have trained for for years.  It was never a question of "if", but "when."  Well, we now know when, and every member of public safety in Boston can hold their head high knowing that they, or their peers, did an outstanding job.  Three deaths is too many, but if it wasn't for a timely response, it could have been much higher.

I would like to point something out in this image that embodies the type of people that I work with.  The female at the rear of the stretcher is not a BEMS EMT or parmedic, but Dr. Sophia Dyer, Medical Director for Boston EMS/PD/FD and senior ED Physician at Boston Medical Center.  The first explosion took place at about 4:09:50 on the race clock-this image is 36 seconds later!  Truly leading by example.

[Image: slide_292101_2340592_free.jpg?1366062186000]

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Ed, all I can say is wow.... Truly a wonderful crew you are associated with.....
Ed--first and foremost, i'm glad to know that you and Skip are ok.  now--that picture is absolutely amazing!!  watching the videos at home, you do see people moving in after the first blast but you don't get the full scope until quite a bit (in emergency standards) later.  your pic with the clock and your timeline TRULY puts things in perspective.  it also looks like the doc is already trying to get a size-up as she's rolling in. 

yes, an amazing group of emergency workers, first responders and by-standers.  may God bless each and every one of you richly!!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Awesome picture Ed. Glad to hear you are ok. I never heard if any emergency workers were hurt (cops, firemen, ems)...I would imagine that if they were we would have heard about it on the news already. My hats off to you and your organization. I could tell in the video I saw that as soon as the explosions occured, emergency workers were reactive immediately. That is a sign of good training and great instincts.

Keep up the good work bro!

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
I'm glad you mentioned secondary devices Ed! I'm currently in Week 3 of teaching our module on Triage & MCI's (ironic timing I know) and that's one of the things we've been telling the guys. We've all (BFD, BEMS & BPD) been trained to run towards an incident when something happens, but in these types of incidents we need to slow down & ensure scene safety. Imagine if the second explosion was near the first one, what could have happened. This is not a knock on any of our guys, we should all hold our heads up high for the job we all did together, but it will hopefully be a good teaching lesson going forward. And I'm with you, I'm not sorry nor do I have any regrets about not being there.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Quote:I'm glad you mentioned secondary devices Ed! I'm currently in Week 3 of teaching our module on Triage & MCI's (ironic timing I know) and that's one of the things we've been telling the guys. We've all (BFD, BEMS & BPD) been trained to run towards an incident when something happens, but in these types of incidents we need to slow down & ensure scene safety. Imagine if the second explosion was near the first one, what could have happened. This is not a knock on any of our guys, we should all hold our heads up high for the job we all did together, but it will hopefully be a good teaching lesson going forward. And I'm with you, I'm not sorry nor do I have any regrets about not being there.

Scene safety is a BIG issue, Brother, as we all know. I recently had a class in quarters about many things on the job, with the biggest emphasis on safety. One thing brought up was a few 10-92's (malicious false alarm) coming in at a Manhattan subway station. After about the 3rd time, a Boss picked up on it. the companies were notified and changed their routes and positions. Needless to say, the 92's stopped at that box. WE ARE BEING WATCHED. And it may have started before that abortion clinic bombing awhile back, where a dumpster blocked the normal position of the 2nd due engine, IIRC. Stay safe, Brothers. More now than ever.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Now, let the rescuers be rescued.  Pray for them all.

Quote:Now, let the rescuers be rescued.  Pray for them all.
Amen to that.