Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chevy Suburban / GMC Yukon XL 2500
Had the pleasure of finding out this week that GM has discontinued production of the 2500 variety of the Suburban and Yukon XL for 2014.  All indicators point that there will never be another 3/4-ton variant of the Suburban.

GM never told our usual dealer that this was happening, and when we missed the cutoff to order a 2013, we were pretty much screwed.  Victory Red (the usual fire engine red color) is a special order only, so they're just not out there.  Even fairly simply equipped Suburbans and Yukons in the 2500 variant are very rare in other colors.

Very unhappy with GM.  There is now no option available for a heavy duty SUV for our use. If anyone knows of a victory red 2500 4x4 Suburban or Yukon XL out there, I'll reward you some sort of finder's fee.  They simply are not out there...
I guess the demand wasn't there anymore, and more and more people are getting reluctant to spend the fuel it takes especially when there are so many other options out there nowadays.

RIP to the original SUV.

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-3087.html

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Interesting. I wonder if the departments switching over to 4-door pickups were ahead of their time?

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Rumors were rampant that GM was putting a baby Duramax in the 2500 Suburban and 1500 pickups.  Maybe it'll materialize in the half tons.

We have a 3/4 ton 4-door pickup that we use for one command buggy.  Because you have to run the 6.5 foot box as the shortest choice, it makes the vehicle considerably larger than the Suburban.  The cab also sits taller, and won't fit in some of our guy's garages due to both height and length (we have volunteer command staff that take buggies home).  I've looked into a 4-door 1500, but the load capacity is still less than the 2500 Burban.

I'm still convinced there has to be a fairly decent market for the 2500, especially with government sales (federal and local).  Then again, the 2500 Suburban and 2500 pickups share much less in common that one would think.  I know when third party conversion folks put a Duramax in a 2500 Suburban, they have to do quite a bit with regarding to lifting the body and whatnot to make the transmission fit.

Do they make a 1500HD pickup anymore?  I know they once did...  Maybe the "max towing package" in the 1500 pickup gives more cargo weight allowance.

Found a black 2500 Suburban.  Hope our board goes for it.
I think there will be a diesel in Chevy and Ford trucks in the near future. I think they are watching the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 2014 Diesel engines to see how they do, and if the market is receptive.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:I think there will be a diesel in Chevy and Ford trucks in the near future. I think they are watching the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 2014 Diesel engines to see how they do, and if the market is receptive.

I'm not sure what to think.  The "baby" Duramax program looks to have been shelved.  I think Ram is able to easily bring in a diesel due to being owned by Fiat so there's little capital investment compared to something "new."  It is NOT a Cummins unit.

Suburban and Yukon XL production numbers are down so much I wonder if the model will survive at all.  Given the 2500's percentage of total unit production, I can only assume that the they just didn't make enough to make it worth their while.  2012 total Yukon XL and Suburban production was less than 72,000.  2007 was almost 130,000, 2001 was 225,000.