Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDNY Rigs Ordered Out of Service
Kent,

I think your numbers are about spot on, they didn't build too many more than that last year. 

From what I've heard though they are very content with that number.  While we all (OK maybe not all) love and adore the Seagrave of old, the Seagrave of today is much more a small bit player.

It's almost to the point where you can call them the fire truck luxury brand.

From my experience in this industry, including selling for a Seagrave dealer in the past.  I think I can say that with the current Graves prices they are making money on each truck delivered. 

As to the FDNY contract I was told from a fairly good source that the price had what they believed to be the actual cost of FDNY warranty in it.  Now couple that to a high cost of the rig to beign

with and not taking a discount because it's FDNY, you get a very pricey unit.  (Please remember with warranty like FDNY's you have to plan for anything and everything right down to almost

rebuilding a whole truck if push comes to shove.)

With my knowledge of pricing from the mfg side of things I would find it hard to believe that Ferrara or KME will walk away from a FDNY big contract (ie: pumperes, ladders) in the end with a money

making effort, perhaps they brake even but I seriously doubt that.  No disrespect to the FDNY guys but those rigs are war wagons and are beaten on daily no matter how hard the men & women of

FDNY try to take care of them.  With FDNY's warranty policy you just can't get by with a standard warranty cost buried in the truck.  NO ONE, builds a truck to withstand that.  The fact that I've heard

people at shows accuse Seagrave of attempting to gouge FDNY or not wanting the work is ridiculous if you know anything about it from the mfg side.

Just remember it's not the big guys who get you to the top it's the guys buying a truck here and there that do.   

Oh well I hope that Segrave is around for another 100 years, it would be sad to see it go out like it is now, a lamb compared to the days when it owned the industry and was the Lion!

Kris
Quote:Kent,

I think your numbers are about spot on, they didn't build too many more than that last year. 

From what I've heard though they are very content with that number.  While we all (OK maybe not all) love and adore the Seagrave of old, the Seagrave of today is much more a small bit player.

It's almost to the point where you can call them the fire truck luxury brand.

From my experience in this industry, including selling for a Seagrave dealer in the past.  I think I can say that with the current Graves prices they are making money on each truck delivered. 

As to the FDNY contract I was told from a fairly good source that the price had what they believed to be the actual cost of FDNY warranty in it.  Now couple that to a high cost of the rig to beign

with and not taking a discount because it's FDNY, you get a very pricey unit.  (Please remember with warranty like FDNY's you have to plan for anything and everything right down to almost

rebuilding a whole truck if push comes to shove.)

With my knowledge of pricing from the mfg side of things I would find it hard to believe that Ferrara or KME will walk away from a FDNY big contract (ie: pumperes, ladders) in the end with a money

making effort, perhaps they brake even but I seriously doubt that.  No disrespect to the FDNY guys but those rigs are war wagons and are beaten on daily no matter how hard the men & women of

FDNY try to take care of them.  With FDNY's warranty policy you just can't get by with a standard warranty cost buried in the truck.  NO ONE, builds a truck to withstand that.  The fact that I've heard

people at shows accuse Seagrave of attempting to gouge FDNY or not wanting the work is ridiculous if you know anything about it from the mfg side.

Just remember it's not the big guys who get you to the top it's the guys buying a truck here and there that do.   

Oh well I hope that Segrave is around for another 100 years, it would be sad to see it go out like it is now, a lamb compared to the days when it owned the industry and was the Lion!

Kris
Finally somebody that knows what they're talkin' about. As I've stated on here more than once a manufacturer will make more money selling "onesies and twosies" to smaller departments and at the end of the day have a lot less assaches!!!
Louisville has purchased 37 Seagrave pumpers, ladders, and rescues since 1987.  Every single one of them are still on the roster, either in frontline or auxiliary (reserve) status.  And we have 3 more on order (wish it were more).  We have purchased over 100 Seagrave units throughout history.  Although a huge amount of credit goes to our shop, which I'd put up to any in the country, an equal amount of credit goes to the build quality and durability of Seagrave.  They are literally tanks.  Enough can't be said either about having like-parts on hand to maintain a standardized fleet.  We will likely continue to buy Seagrave as long as they are in business...or until a competitor successfully bids a like-quality fully stainless steel cab and body...or the city bean counters force us to buy low bid even if they didn't meet spec.   

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY