Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F.A.S.T. truck
I was listening to the audio from the seaside boardwalk fire and heard them call for a fast company. What is that in the seaside area? Is it like a rit team?

Yes, that's essentially correct. F.A.S.T. Trucks (Firefighter Assist Search Team) perform basically the same function as RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) units do. Specific duties, manning, and which units handle such duties vary somewhat from department to department.
Thanks chief I thought so.

When I listened it sounded like only certain companies in this county could perform this duty which sounded odd to me.  

In the metro area I am from any department performs this function and usually has a certain truck that is first out for this specific job function. In out county a structure fire gets the first due department full response (each departmant has 1 to 4 stations most only 1) and then the second due department with a task force which is in a non hydranted area is a engine and a tanker with 6-8 ff with at least 1 officer. In a hydranted area it is a engine or a truck co or a rescue with 6-8 ff with at least 1 officer. upon a working fire confirmed a third department is dispatched as the R.I.T. company.      

Here the 4th Due Engine on the 2nd Alarm is automatically dispatched upon the transmission of the Box to act as the RIT. If FA is receiving calls or if the first due company calls off with anything showing a RIT Ladder (2nd due on the 2nd) & RIT Chief are added.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.