Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual DIfference Between Pierce Impel and Velocity?
How does one tell the difference between the Pierce Velocity and Impel, cosmetically (besides the obvious nameplate underneath the windows of the front cab doors) If I remember correctly, the Impel used to come with round headlights, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
From what I've been told by a Pierce employee, there really is no way of telling cosmetically. The differences are all in/under the cab, etc.

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Basic the Impel is the entry level with small block engine version. You can get them looking the exact same on the exterior. 

If both are identical, then why not just make it one chassis, instead of the two? Pierce has so many chassis options, especially ones that overlap one another, choosing a cab has got to be intimidating for customers when spec'ing the truck. I imagine the dealer steers the customer towards the chassis that they want, and maybe the customer wants.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:If both are identical, then why not just make it one chassis, instead of the two? Pierce has so many chassis options, especially ones that overlap one another, choosing a cab has got to be intimidating for customers when spec'ing the truck. I imagine the dealer steers the customer towards the chassis that they want, and maybe the customer wants.
So from what I know from a former Pierce salesman told me when these two cabs where introduced " Basically the thought was to have the Velocity as a premier cab with many options as standard and the Impel as a mid line cab with limited options to make it more economical for customers." No different then the Dash and the original Enforcer same basic cab design just different allowable options. The same can be said for the current Enforcer and Saber, Cyclone 2 and Typhoon, or Igniter, Inferno, and Cinder etc etc. It's cheaper for the mfg's to use the same basic platform but use the options to control the price.