Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Flash Patterns on Whelen Lights
We are about to take delivery of a 2014 Pierce Impel.  It has a Whelen Warning light "package".  I have read the instructions on line about changing flash patterns, but it seems a little more complicated for a novice/amateur like myself (unplug this wire...take this wire and apply 12 volts to it...isolate that wire...etc...).

Does anyone have a way to explain this to me in more simple terms?  Is it really as complicated as my brain is comprehending it to be?  Our 2005 Tanker has a Code 3 light bar, and changing that flash pattern was as simple as pressing a flat-head screw driver to to connector/connection thingies.

Obviously, if I can't figure out how to do it and not blow up the truck...I just won't do it.  But surely it can't be that complicated.

Looks like you have a reply on the FH.com forums...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Thank you. I posted both places to reach a wider audience.

Without knowing exactly what model LED's you have. The best way is to go to Whelene's website. They have all the info for all the latest model LED's on their webpage.Its under http://www.whelen.com/auto/install.php  I  am a professional installer and that is what I use. Don't go by what someone tells you as some models are different 
If you give me the series of lights, I can help you.

600 Series Super LED on front and side, and 900 series LED's on the rear.  The lightbar is a whelen ultra freedom

Not sure about the light bar, only because I can't really change the one on the engine I work on.  The other lights have a white wire with a purple strip on the back of the light.  Ground that wire to the vehicles positive battery terminal, keep grounding the wire out till you get the pattern you like.  We remove the light head, find the purple/white wire and use a long piece of wire to change ours.  There might be a grey wire connected that syncs all the lights together, if yours is connected you have to change each light separately.  After all the lights have been changed, shut off the battery source and then turn it back on.  All the lights should be sync'd with the new patterns. 

Like I said  check the installation guides..

Quote:600 Series Super LED on front and side, and 900 series LED's on the rear.  The lightbar is a whelen ultra freedom
On the 600's take the white/purple wire and tap it to a positive source for less than 1 second.  This will change the pattern.  If the light heads are synced together you will need to advance ever light head to the same pattern.  The 900's will be the same way, unless they only have 2 wires, which will prevent you from changing the flash patterns.