Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Historic" snorkel to be scrapped
A story, posted on firetruckblog (part of Statter911) has the Bedford Park,ILL. FD shortly disposing of their 1960 GMC/Pierce/Pitman Snorkel 65' which had Pierce #1202A. Someone is quoted in the article that this unit was originally built for Chicago???, and then sold to Bedford Park.

I know CFD was buying HI-Rangers on Ford chassis at that time, so,can anyone  confirm this?

The original CFD GMC/Pierce/Pitman and the 1959 Elwood,IND. Ford C/Pierce/Pitman 65' are certainly more historic.

What's the significance of Elwood, IN. just out of curiosity? It was replaced by a tower ladder, and I have no idea where it went after that.
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
When I worked on the Pierce book, the 2 guys (1 at Pitman and 1 at Pierce) who were solely responsible for building the first Snorkels each told me the Elwood rig was the VERY FIRST Pitman/Pierce built specifically for the fire service, meaning not experimental and intended for fire service.  Doug Ogilvie of Pierce even remembered drawing the body design on a cocktail napkin while meeting with Pitman.  Bedford Park's was reportedly as the 2nd (I don't recall it being built for Chicago).  I hope somebody has the Elwood rig and it wasn't scrapped.  Same would go for the Bedford Park rig. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Oh wow! I will do a little digging and see if I can find out where it went.

Trav!

Here is a link to Elwood's courtesy of Indiana Fire Trucks

http://indianafiretrucks.com/Station.aspx?StationId=614

The Elwood rig is even more important as it was Pierce's big break in fire apparatus.  They were primarily a utility truck outfitter up to that point, but had done some basic rural apparatus, as well as building bodies for FWD and Darley.  Pierce built the compartments on that first Pitman line truck that Chicago turned into a fire truck in 1958.  Pitman saw the gold mine and Pierce became their go-to body builder.  Pierce actually completed the Elwood rig on a 1959 Ford C chassis.  It toured the country for a few years as a demonstrator before being purchased by Elwood.  It was eventually rechassied on a 1977 Ford C chassis.  But, from 1959 on, Pierce became a household name, thanks to the Snorkel...and the rest is history! 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Checked with someone from the area last night, Elwood has kept the truck! It is in storage somewhere, and used if the tower is out. I might make my way down there before too long and see if I can find out where it's at, to get some new pictures of it.

Trav!

Smeal has purchased the truck and will restore it. They are going to produce the Snorkel line again, so want this to show at conferences and in thier museum.  http://desplainesvalleynews.com/bedford-...273-90.htm

Brilliant idea by Smeal.  Shame on Oshkosh/Pierce for not saving it first. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
From what I heard from a very reliable source, there is a department in Mass. that had a snorkel fail and wants a new one.  Smeal is working on it.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department