Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Night trip 10/30/2014-11/2/2014
I arrived in Detroit on the night of the 30th, and didn't get on the road until about 11 PM.  The city was busy, but it is definitely quieter than years past.  Here's my stuff.

First fire, Mt. Elliot and E Warren Streets, 2 large dwellings going throughout.

A drone was also sighted flying over the scene

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Fire number 2 was at 3140 E. Kirby.  Two 1-1/2 story dwellings going throughout.  This was adjacent to an occupied structure that the guys did a great job of protecting.  The other side of the occupied structure was a vacant lot where a 2-1/2 story wood frame and a 1 story commercial used to stand-they were casualties of the Devil's Night activities in 2008

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
November came in wet and cold, and then even colder when the rain/snow moved out.  The third fire I caught was on W. Brentwood between Charleston and Woodward.  A vacant dwelling going throughout which extended to an adjacent structure.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
The last one I caught was by far the largest.  A large dwelling at the corner of Ellery and Pulford going throughout.  Companies had to wet down the apparatus due to radiant heat, and dealt with a significant ember condition that thankfully didn't spread to adjacent occupied structures.  

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
To close out my contributions, a few artsy shots.  There were many other cameras roaming around the D over the days I was there, and I know there were some firepixers present.  I hope they share their work.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Quote:The last one I caught was by far the largest.  A large dwelling at the corner of Ellery and Pulford going throughout.  Companies had to wet down the apparatus due to radiant heat, and dealt with a significant ember condition that thankfully didn't spread to adjacent occupied structures.  

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=112653]

Wow! 

Nice Job Ed, glad to see you made the trip.

WOW! Great Photos!

Matt

Anne Arundel County, Maryland

My Website: www.bythebayphotos.com
Good stuff ed.
Good photos, Ed!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Nice work. Heard they were making access difficult for photogs, did you have any problems?
Kevin
Visit my website Buffalo, NY Fire Photos
Visit my Zazzle store 

Quote:Nice work. Heard they were making access difficult for photogs, did you have any problems?

There was a pretty obvious police presence at most of the scenes.  They weren't really giving anyone a hard time, but they were doing their job, asking basic questions to make sure the photographers were legit.  It's pretty much the same everywhere you shoot-respect the boundaries set by the department and you're all set.  I was asked by a chief to move back a little at one scene and immediately did so.  It didn't affect the photos, and he was very nice, talking with me for a bit after I moved.  A short time after that a person who was in the same spot was asked to move back and gave the chief a hard time.  It's the actions of a few that can cause problems for many.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Here are a couple of test videos I did with my "new to me" Olympus E5

W Brentwood and Woodward

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DbSEXaL070M

Ellery and Pulford

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZINrwKmqQA
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Nice shots Ed!!!

"RIP" Brothers Carter,Phillips,Matthews,Robinson & McRae!!
Nice pics!!
Nice work Ed!

Jason Coleman-Cobb

Fire Photographer and Buff

www.capitalcityfirephotos.com
Nice Shots Ed

D.J. Hornacek

Nikon D40 DSLR with a Nikon 70-300MM Lens and a Nikon SB 600 External Flash

Check out my website: http://davids-firetruckphotos.smugmug.com