Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Furion and other mid-size pumpers
Greetings...I'm sure that it has been somewhere on firepics before, but I haven't been able to locate it.  When did Spartan stop producing the Furion? does anyone know why?  

The reason I am asking....it seems that more and more departments are looking at "smaller" pumpers that still *meet* NFPA Spec for Class A pumpers but are smaller in size on Ford F550 chassis.  From a Chief's perspective, I'm sure the smaller apparatus shows more fiscal responsibility and aligns with a higher EMS call load while still having firefighting capability....from a Firefighter's perspective, they want the big rig with everything on it, the visibility, etc. etc. etc.

While I, too, would prefer the big truck....some of them have become ridiculously large.  It made me wonder if someone (besides HME) was filling a "niche" in the mid-sized market....I thought this was somewhat covered by the Furion a few years ago, but saw that they are no longer in production.

It seems to me that the timing would be right for a "Chevy Colorado" (IE mid-sized) Fire Apparatus that could fill both roles...I thought Tempe and some others had experimented with them.

I apologize if this question seems a little disorganized....I would like to hear your thoughts!

I don't know exactly when they quit selling them, easily a couple of years ago.  A few demo chassis lingered around and were sold off when a buyer could be found.  But while it looked "small" it really was kind of misleading.

When I sold trucks, we were told initially the Furion was going to be a modern Ford C.  I specifically was excited thinking of the potential of a two-door version for tankers (I was told this was a real possibility by a Spartan rep), as initially the pricing was to be in line with a commercial chassis plus the costs of making the commercial chassis fire apparatus "ready."  The product that emerged however was much different.

A Furion for all practical purposes was identical to the Metro Star of the same era with the exception of the cab.  Frame, running gear, etc. was all the same.  Sure, they limited the axles' weight ratings, and I think even offered a very light version for ambos with maybe even a Cummins ISB (I could be wrong here).  But the cost savings that they had promised really wasn't there, and customers didn't think the cost to go to an all aluminum Metro Star cab that was larger was that big of deal.  The Furion is a stamped galvaneal steel cab if memory serves me.  I'm really curious how long it will take before corrosion becomes an issue on Furions, if it will.

If I was being forced into a midi/mini unit it would have to be on IH's Terrastar.  We played the F-550 rescue game in 2003, and I would never go back.  The price savings is misleading in my opinion.  Back in 2003 we paid close to 130,000 each for two F-550 rescues, and the life span of that chassis under that load is considerably less in my opinion than a true heavy chassis.  Our 1997 Spartan engine is holding up quite well and has many years left, the 2003's were nickel and dime'ing us and were miserable to ride in, had very little space, etc.  In 2003 could buy a heck of a unit on a commercial medium truck chassis with a rescue body for not a whole lot more than 130,000 and get another ten years of life over an F-series out of the thing for your money.  I highly doubt the engine and transmission in today's F-550 is designed with the same lifespan in mind that a Cummins ISC and an Allison transmission is...

A lot of mini pumper departments will buy them thinking you don't need more than a class D license, but our F-550s were heavy enough to require a class C.  Might as well do the little extra work involved and get a class B...

A neighbor remounted a rescue that was on a Ford L onto a Furion, and it actually worked out fairly well after a number of issues were settled after the finished refurb was delivered.  However they got a smoking deal on a leftover Furion chassis and were willing to "settle" if that makes sense.

At my past job, we had a "small" Type 6 engine built on a Ford F450 crew cab with a 10 foot flatbed and a "large" Type 3 built on an International 7400 crew cab. You would think the smaller engine would have been the better choice out on narrow forest roads, but the only advantage that it had was height and being 4x4. It was only marginally shorter, had a much larger turning radius, less ground clearance, less water, smaller less reliable pump and less room for gear.

The only time the type 6 got used was to fill in behind the Type 3.

I'm really kind of surprised we don't see more use of import cabovers. I'm guessing a lack of dealerships, and a bit of not from here. It seems like some of the Japanese and European cabover trucks would provide a useful chassis for a midsize pumper or rescue. The loss of the Ford C really left a big hole that has not been filled.
Aaron Woods