Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puc vs traditional
My department is going to purchase a rescue pumper. I would like to hear pros/cons, likes/dislikes, etc. regarding a PUC/Emax type apparatus versus a traditional rescue pumper.
We are a combination dept , 2 career 5 volunteer engines 2 trucks and one heavy rescue, a very busy dept with everything from  2 interstates I95 & I287 to a busy airport and everything in between. In 2010 I took a leap of faith and went with a Puc on a Arrow XT and never looked back . The guys and now girls love it. After 5 years in service we have had no problems. We run very limited manpower and I designed the rig to be user friendly so when the firefighter steps out they do not have to climb up or down on the rig to get the things they need for the call  and only the Puc with its vast space can do that  in a short rig . One example 2 5gal buckets of speedy dry can be had from the ground  but the big call 10 bags in the upper coffin up top and on and on . hope this helps a little .  

Thank you very much! Sounds like we are in the same boat. We have a very minimum daily staffing and need to combine 2 rigs into 1. We are also very busy and need a one stop shop so to speak. We are looking at the Super Body to allow for more space as well. We shall see what happens. So far the guys have picked this over any of the other rigs that we have researched and looked at. 

How do your neighbors to the North (Memphis) like their PUC engines and quints? I see that Engines 47 and 52 will be getting new PUC engines soon.
PUCs are terribly designed with regards to smart water flow.  The hydraulic losses going into the impeller from the intakes are terrible, for one example. 

I'll be curious how well these rigs service test to their full capacity as they near the end of their lives, especially for departments that hold on to engines for 20+ years.

You can do very similar layouts with a more conventional pump.  E\-One, Ferrara, Rosenbauer all do them, as well as others.  A PTO drive will never be as robust as a split shaft in my opinion, and often has more intensive maintenance demands.

My other rub with Pierce is their desire to do proprietary stuff, like the PUC pump, (only for Pierce by Darley), TAK-4, their own multiplexing, their own foam systems (even though they're all usually made for them by someone else).  This makes repair parts more expensive.
My department took delivery of a EMAX on a Quest chassis last October. The emax concept has won over some guys that don't like change. It provides the ability to have a ton of storage with a relatively short wheel base, another way we gained compartment space was by moving the hydraulic tools to the front bumper and incorporating the amkus 240ss into the dunnage area up top. We are a small department and this engine runs on every call both fire and ems so it is set up as a ALS engine. The compartment design and functionality of it is amazing, that being said we have had nothing but problems with it. Engine problems, poor workmanship, and electrical. It has spent more time driving back and forth from the dealer than it's been in service. We've purchased a tower ladder since taking delivery of the engine and we chose to go with a different manufacturer. If you'd like to see and compartment shot i'll try to provide them to you......when it gets back from the shop(no electronics functioning in the cab)

http://massfiretrucks.com/Bellingham_Engine_2_2015.jpg

Great input fellas! I greatly appreciate it. 

As far as the Memphis guys, my best friend is a driver over at Q37 and he likes it OK. He did say that the pump has to be primed quite often. But not many of the Memphis guys get to talk much any more. 

That's interesting about the flow on the pump and meeting their rated capacity at the end of their useful life. That is a big issue here with the Miss. Rating Bureau and something to certainly think about. This engine will serve a max of 10 years unless something drastically changes. 

However, it looks like the traditional rescue pumper will probably win out due to price, etc. Bean counters are keeping a close eye on it and we only have x dollars to spend.