Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Fire Buffing
Technology is moving fast.

I've been out of work since August with a torn rotator cuff which was surgically repaired in mid-October.  What is one to do while not really being able to do anything?

Buff from your couch.

There is a new service from Twitter called Periscope http://www.periscope.tv that allows anyone to broadcast themselves to anyone who wants to watch.  The majority of this is people gabbing on and on about nothing, but there are some who have integrated the service into their buffing routine, which has opened up some interesting opportunities.  I was able to be in Detroit for Devil's night between the various "scopes" and the Broadcastify stream for the department radio, and have had an uncensored front row seat for the Paris attacks and last night's Chicago Riot.

To give you an idea, here is a link to a user called Alex-fire chaser-he catches a lot of work in Detroit, and there are archives from the past 24 hours of what he has broadcast. https://www.periscope.tv/lwnloud

I'm thinking this might be something people are interested in, and might set up a page to feature the various Scopers' feeds.  For now, I figured I'd share a new angle on a very old hobby.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
The City of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue is on PulsePoint and I have both the App on my phone and have the WebApp bookmarked on my phone. I also have two scanner apps on my phone so that I can listen to Clark County, City of Henderson, and Boulder City Fire on one and Las Vegas and North Las Vegas on the other. I also have Periscope on my phone and bookmarked on my computer. I also belong to several Facebook and Twitter groups and I also am a dispatcher with AlertPage when I can be.

Ed any idea when you can go back to work? and I hope you are feeling better.

Dave
Quote: 

Ed any idea when you can go back to work? and I hope you are feeling better.

I'm doing pretty good considering I'm only 5 weeks past surgery, thank you for asking.  Aggressive PT is underway, right now stretching, then increasing range of motion and finally strengthening.  The optimistic outlook is to be back on the truck by the end of February.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Damn I hope it is Work related
Dave
Quote:Damn I hope it is Work related
It was, of course it was on a lift assist with no transport, not a glamorous call.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Bed and Butter calls always seem to be the ones that people get hurt on. Take it slow and heal.

Dave
I said I might put up a page for virtual buffing.  I ended up putting up a site.  It's designed as an aggregate site of fire buffs who utilize periscope from fire scenes or other fire service related events.  I'm hoping to bring broadcasters on board as partners, but the hardest part of this is locating the buffs using periscope.  The site is not yet being publicized, as I am still tweaking, but it is http://www.virtualfirebuff.com  Please take a moment to check it out, and if you know of broadcasters, please let me know their Periscope user names.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net