Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New Toy
Well I couldn't leave without something, and since D' Amico's son wasn't letting anything go cheap in the apparatus realm (I left about 1/2 way through when I saw the pattern occuring) I bought the item I was originally looking at.

$288.75 later and I have the title to this in my grubby l'il hands. Know it needs a battery to get it out of there and auction company says it runs rough and "doesn't stop for crap". So brakes and a tune-up are in order. Maybe just drain of the gas tank. Last time it was state inspected was 1999, and the title shows it was transfered in 2001.

[Image: newtoy001-vi.jpg]
-- James

Webmaster

[url="http://www.policecararchives.org"]National Police Car Archives[/url]
any word on how the rest of auction went??
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
[quote name='wardengine' post='19351' date='Aug 5 2006, 13:13 ']any word on how the rest of auction went??[/quote]

Well most of the general stuff went from $700-1,400...with the general average around $900. Seems most apparatus was appraised at around $900 and D' Amico's son didn't let much go below appraised value. The 1971 Dupex Tower didn't move the reserve was more than anyone was willing to pay (it got up to $5,000) and was the only vehicle that was started. run and could be driven off the lot as the problems lie in the tower itself (the former fire department tried to pick up a Christmas tree with 1/2 of the aerial and stress fractured it). High bid when I had left was for the 1953 Mack Open cab that went for $4.900. There were still about 16 apparatus inside and 11 outside (including the two tillers/TDAs). The Maxim went for $1,200.
-- James

Webmaster

thanx james for reply
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Well went back down to the auction site today armed with a battery and "lot drove" it a little bit. It starts right up with no hesitation what so ever but it's blowing a bit of blue smoke which hopefully has more to do with the fact it's been sitting for 5-7 years and what little gas it has isn't burning well. It stops, but not in a way that I want to panic stop from 65mph with for sure. Front end of it seems a little loose to me, so I have to have that checked out as well.

On the equipment side after fiddling with the switch panel I got the rear heater/ac blower to work, also the flood lights on both side are working. I can't get the red lights along the side and back to do anything yet, but the both of those big honking F/S Power Lights work quite nicely. As do the teardrop lights on the front fenders. So a trip over to the local fire truck garage may be in order to totally sort out the electrical workings once I get it to go, stop and turn. The F/S PA Director siren works too, and sounds great coming out of those twin speakers.

Next weekend hopefully I will have all the necessary paperwork to register it (they forgot to give me a form with the title) so I can go down armed with plates, insurance and AAA to tow it to a shop to check the brakes and front end.
-- James

Webmaster

How's the ambulance coming James? I'd love to see some recent pics of it!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

[quote name='Andrew2340' post='65600' date='Jan 7 2007, 19:20 ']How's the ambulance coming James? I'd love to see some recent pics of it![/quote]

How is the process going? Hopefully well, can you post some more pics when you get a chance.
Is that a Yankee Coach conversion? Sure looks like one the Ambulance Corp I belong to got rid of about 15 years ago, except our was orange where yours appears to be red and the revolving lights were on the "upper" roof...

John in Rochester NY
Holy Mother Jugs & James, Batman! James that is a cool lookin' bus! Strong work. Love to see it when U finish!
SPITA--ENGINE CO. 5

"Da Beast From Da East"

City of Lynn Fire Dept

Sin City, Mass

"It is in the shelter of each other that we Brothers may live"
[quote name='lynnjake13' post='67581' date='Jan 14 2007, 20:52 ']Holy Mother Jugs & James, Batman! James that is a cool lookin' bus! Strong work. Love to see it when U finish![/quote]

Hmmm...errr yeeeeeaaaaahhh

I got rid of it awhile ago...turned out I couldn't get it titled in PA because no one ever converted the title from being an ambulance to being a 1 ton van when Pechin's Used Cars held the title. I tried 3 times with 3 different places and the state kept wanting proof of my operating an ambulance service before they would transfer the title. Obviously there was no way to have them go back and re-title it via Denbo or anything, and after plowing $180 worth of non-refundable title work into I just had it scrapped. It was a lot worse that it looked on the outside in addition, and I don't know that it would have been road worthy again with the frame and suspension in the shape it was in...

So now I keep my eyes open for maybe a mini-pumper or a brush truck...something small to keep my neighbors and fiancee happy. If we ever sell our '72 Dodge Power Wagon Brush truck I might poke around and see if I can't buy it.
-- James

Webmaster