Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1976 Seagrave tiller fommerly from Boston,MA
[quote name='yelrowekim' post='191681' date='Feb 24 2008, 23:13 ']Looking threw some old photo's tonight...in books....all the 76 Seagrave's seem to all have bells on them..Ladder 11...L 15...L10 and some were also referbed by Middleborough Motors so that might be what happened to the gold leaf....

You also have to remember that was the time when the same companies (Busy Co's) use to get new rigs every few years and there rigs would get handed down... The 74 Maxim TDA that Quincy got for a buck... started out at 26 then 29 then 9..[/quote]

The L4 I remember, and have pics of, has a siren in the middle. This one has a red light. Did they have 2 Seagraves? The one I'm referring to can be found at Ed's Firegroundphotos site and was the one replaced by the E One RM.
[quote name='CFD137' post='191711' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:46 ']The L4 I remember, and have pics of, has a siren in the middle. This one has a red light. Did they have 2 Seagraves? The one I'm referring to can be found at Ed's Firegroundphotos site and was the one replaced by the E One RM.[/quote]

There were, I believe, 3 Seagrave TDA's that were refurbed in the late 80's, and the light was added at that time.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' post='191712' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:12 ']There were, I believe, 3 Seagrave TDA's that were refurbed in the late 80's, and the light was added at that time.[/quote]

I have pcitures of L4 right after delivery and it had the light in the middle, no gold leaf, plus round gumball lights. Also have a pic of it outside Ft. Dudley circa 1982, with siren in place of light, round gumball lights and gold leaf. When it left service, it left with squared roof lights and the siren plus gold leaf. Ft. Dudley's old website used to have pics of it on there.
Hey Joel, any new progress on this old rig? I'd love to see this thing restored!
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='328412' date='Aug 9 2009, 21:34 ']Hey Joel, any new progress on this old rig? I'd love to see this thing restored![/quote]

The rust is getting thicker and thicker.....It's not a LaFrance!!!!
[quote name='CFD137' post='191711' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:46 ']The L4 I remember, and have pics of, has a siren in the middle. This one has a red light. Did they have 2 Seagraves? The one I'm referring to can be found at Ed's Firegroundphotos site and was the one replaced by the E One RM.[/quote]

Looks like it's the same rig. After looking at the pics that Ed has on his website, the pic of this rig in the '77 BFD yearbook, and the pics in this thread, it appears that it started out with the red light in the front. At some point the members probably put the siren and gold leaf on it, then when it was refurbed for L-9, the siren was taken out and the red light put back on. You can tell it's the same rig because it still has those same two bumper stickers on the front bumper.

[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='329156' date='Aug 12 2009, 15:21 ']Looks like it's the same rig. After looking at the pics that Ed has on his website, the pic of this rig in the '77 BFD yearbook, and the pics in this thread, it appears that it started out with the red light in the front. At some point the members probably put the siren and gold leaf on it, then when it was refurbed for L-9, the siren was taken out and the red light put back on. You can tell it's the same rig because it still has those same two bumper stickers on the front bumper.[/quote]

Apparently the shops back then swapped the siren with a light and changed the roof lights. That is quite a truck to own. I spent many weekends riding it in grade school.
Guys here is a shot I took back in the summer. Does any one know what went in any of the compartments, back in Ladder 4 or Ladder 9?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joel, what happened to all the other rigs that were in that yard? And are you gonna start the restoration on this rig?