Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riverheads VFD - Virginia
Here is a newer station that opened back in March of 2011 just outside of Staunton, Virginia.

The Riverheads Volunteer Fire Department is Station 25 in Augusta County. Station 25 is located just off of Route 11 in the Greenville area.

As with many new departments, getting started means used fire apparatus. The fire department operates an engine company, tanker, and a unique attack unit. In addition, the Staunton-Augusta Volunteer Rescue Squad operates an ambulance/medic unit from the station.

Engine 252 previously ran as Engine 102 in Augusta County and was painted yellow and white.

1989 Seagrave JB50CF

1500/750 with 150 gallons of foam.

serial number X-79956

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Engine 252.

By the way, "Red Pride" is on some of the apparatus supporting the local high school.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

How many members does this new fire dept have?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
A second truck acquired from Station 10 in Augusta County and still painted and lettered in Augusta County markings and painted in the old yellow and white.

Tanker 259 is a 1997 International 4900 built by New Lexington and is equipped with a 500/1800.

The department is planning on painting the tanker to their colors when the money is available.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I like this truck. Many of the parts came from another Augusta County fire station 10 truck.

Attack 251 is a 2000 Freightliner 70 with a Adkins body. Dominion Power donated the truck to Riverheads. The fire department purchased a CET skid package and had some additional work completed by Industrial Fabrication of Virginia. located in nearby Fishersville. Much of the work was completed by Riverheads volunteers. It is equipped with a 500/500/15.

Parts were used from Augusta County's old Squad 108, a 1987 International/Swab. The "remains" of the squad are still located at the station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Attack 251.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Numerous parts for Attack 251 came from this 1987 International/Swab that was once Augusta County's Squad 108.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
There is an open garage that is at the Riverheads station that currently has the Interational/Swab and this rehab unit.

Augusta County's Rehab 1 is a 1991 Chevrolet 60/Blue Bird that was once an Augusta County school bus.

Prior to the Riverheads station opening, Rehab 1 was kept at the Fishersville VFD, where this photo was taken in July of 2011.

During the summer months, Rehab 1 is kept in this garage at Riverheads. During the colder months, it is moved into the station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1339901981' post='488998']

A second truck acquired from Station 10 in Augusta County and still painted and lettered in Augusta County markings and painted in the old yellow and white.

Tanker 259 is a 1997 International 4900 built by New Lexington and is equipped with a 500/1800.

The department is planning on painting the tanker to their colors when the money is available.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Great to see that theTanker is still around and in front-line service. I refuse to believe it was 15 years ago that I sold that unit to then Chief Ron Garber....... I honestly can't believe I have been in the fire apparatus business this long.....

BTW, Great Photos Mike... Thank You for posting!
Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Final photo from Riverheads is their station. You can see the rear of the station from Interstate 81, south.

The future - the department is very close to finalizing a purchase of a used engine. In addition, the department is acquiring a Ford pick up which will be used as both a EMS first responder and brush truck.

Hope you enjoyed one of Virginia's newest departments.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
LOOKS LIKE I NEED ANOTHER ROAD TRIP SOUTH.
[quote name='Tim' timestamp='1339901980' post='488997']

Mike,

How many members does this new fire dept have?

[/quote]

Tim,

Approximately 30 volunteers.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='YeOldeEnjine' timestamp='1339903182' post='489003']

Great to see that theTanker is still around and in front-line service. I refuse to believe it was 15 years ago that I sold that unit to then Chief Ron Garber....... I honestly can't believe I have been in the fire apparatus business this long.....

BTW, Great Photos Mike... Thank You for posting!

[/quote]

You are welcome. The tanker will look nice if painted in Riverheads colors. I hope that happens.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Quote:Final photo from Riverheads is their station. You can see the rear of the station from Interstate 81, south.

The future - the department is very close to finalizing a purchase of a used engine. In addition, the department is acquiring a Ford pick up which will be used as both a EMS first responder and brush truck.

Hope you enjoyed one of Virginia's newest departments.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

THEY HAVE THE BRUSH TRUCK NOW. I FORGOT TO GET THE INFO THOUGH. THEY ALSO HAVE AN EX- CHARLOTTESVILLE Seagrave ENGINE WHICH SHOULD BE LETTERED NEXT WEEK. THEY HOPE TO HAVE IT IN SERVICE BY THE END OF THE MONTH BUT IT PROBABLY ISN'T GOING TO MAKE IT.
Did Augusta County replace the old tanker with a new tanker?

Welcome back....I always enjoy these department profiles that you post....always nice the the little departments in the spotlight.  Keep up the good work, looking forward to more

Quote:Did Augusta County replace the old tanker with a new tanker?

No, simply moved this one to the new station.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
(04-21-2013, 12:37 AM)firetrucks Wrote: Did Augusta County replace the old tanker with a new tanker?
they are running co 11's tanker