Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Fire Fort Wayne Indiana 8-19-2013
Great pics ! Any idea about the old to the right under the shelter in the last pic?
Quote:Great pics ! Any idea about the old to the right under the shelter in the last pic?
All i know is a ford - Howe may go back and see if i can find serial number but truck body had been modified. So im not sure serial number is even on rig.  
I love the Sutphen engine 1! Great pics!

I was on the South side (walking up and down the rail road tracks) and for a short time, the North side, only long enough to see Engine 10 reloading their LDH. The problem is, I didn't get up there until around 7, because I took too long deciding rather I was going to go or not. When I was there, I believe it was still Engines 1, 9, 10, 11, 13, 17, Huntertown Engine 92 showed up, Quint 14, Ladder 1, and Rescue 1, the command post was just leaving.

As for the Sutphen Engine 1, I love it too! Engines 1 and 12 got the 2 Sutphens early last year. Supposedly, there is an order for 2 more engines and a tower for next year (was supposed to be this year) and I'm hoping that Sutphen gets the bid again. The problem is, the truck being replaced is an E\-One rear mount, so depending on the specs. Sutphen may not even have a shot.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Good stuff...I was born in Ft. Wayne and have a lot of family there. Always nice to see something from there. Smile  (ok, a sad loss of an historic industrial building though)

American Red Cross - DAT Captain
Member 4-2-4 - 5-11 Club of Chicago

I was working and someone said I think somthing is on fire across the street. So I grabbed my camera. Here is the first of what i had seen when I got to my car.

If it was "across the street" why did you need your car? Smile

You'd better give your co-worker a lesson in distance judging. Smile

Quote:Engine 9 

Fort Wayne has 18 Engine Companies 1 Being a Quint at station 14.

4 Truck Companies

1 City wide Rescue Company 

5 Battalions Chiefs

Engines are manned by Driver, Captain, 2 Firefighters

Trucks manned by Driver, Lieutenant, 1 Firefighter

Rescue is manned by Driver, Captain, 2 Firefighters  
Great photos. Seems they are thin on Ladders. Did they ever have any more Ladders in the city? Also have they ever staffed the Ladders with four? Thanks in advance. Stay Safe, Rick 
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:Great photos. Seems they are thin on Ladders. Did they ever have any more Ladders in the city? Also have they ever staffed the Ladders with four? Thanks in advance. Stay Safe, Rick 

In the 1970's they had 6 ladder company's. But alot of engines and ladders were disbanded in the 1980's. They have added engines 4, 8, 17, 18, 19 starting around 1994 with new annexation. They added a ladder at station 19 when that annexation in 2006 took place. They are light on trucks but do not use trucks as trucks. Trucks almost never get the front of the building and most of the time an engine company is sent to the roof to vent. Companies are assigned the task that is needed by the next company as they arrive. The only time a truck does truck work is when a aerial master stream is needed. Most of that time it is the driver only setting up the rig because the crew has been sent to do another task. As far as ladders staffed with 4. Yes 4 are assigned each tour but with sick call ins the ladders are the first to be cut to 3 to fill in sick / vacation calls. It could in fact happen that they have 4 but not normal. Once they have the ladders down to 3 they post hire backs. Currently Fort Wayne Fire is about 30 FF down so hire backs are every day. The city just approved 15 new hires and the process is under way.     

Alot of what Fort Wayne does works for Fort Wayne as is alot of the country. Without talking tactics this fire was lost from the start. They began to fight the building of origin and never began to protect surrounding buildings. All Fort Wayne Companies were at this fire and they only set up 1 tower ladder. They had water supply issues and this property is on the river. They never set up a drafting operation. They didn't even have a reason why they didn't when asked. They simply could not think out of the box on this day and this fire will help them improve from the day after and forward.        

Great shots!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>