Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message to Ga_Dave
Dave, congratulations on your retirement.  You've earned it and deserve it.  Hopefully you'll still pursue your hobby and we'll get an opportunity some day to shoot some rigs. All the best.

PS: I'll be joining your ranks in 60 days Smile

Bob

Retired and still a tax payer.
Dve 

Your still a kid, not old enough to retire.

You will enjoy it and hopefully we will see you in the Northern Virginia area.

Allt he best Fireman

Thanks, guys!  I am fortunate to get out at this age, but things just work out that way sometimes.  An opportunity presented itself and it was stupid not to take advantage of it.  The City wants us to stay until age 60, which is absolutely ridiculous.  Very few 60 year olds can keep up with the "kids" on the job, many of which were not yet born when I got hired.  There are few "management" positions in my FD and I wasn't interested in them anyway.  I could have made company officer and shift officer years ago, but I didn't want those jobs.  I have been a driver/operator since 1992, but didn't get to do my job often, due to having to fill in as company officer on a frequent basis because the city has neglected to promote, leaving many unfilled positions.  This has all worked out to my best advantage and I am one happy camper!

Congrats Dave!!!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Congradulations Dave, the water is fine, jump on in. Enjoy it, you earned it.

Find something to do and not just sit around and watch the TV all day.

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
As I start getting acclimated to my own recent retirement, I can only offer confirmation of the things you already know:

1.) You will miss most of the people, a few of the things, and none of the 3 AM alarms.

2.) It won't take long for you to become so busy, you'll wonder how you ever found time to work.

3.) While everyone had advice for you, you are the only one who knew when it was time to go. I applaud your decision to stay in the line . . . Some of the happiest days of my 40-year career were the eight years I spent as the driver of one of our busiest Engine Companies, and the nine years as a Truck Company Captain at one of our busiest trucks. While both the District Chief's and Deputy Chief's positions had their own rewards, I always remembered the advice I got from a respected Chief Officer early in my career: "Never forget who puts the fires out".

Enjoy your retirement, your family and the holiday season. Well done.
Congrats Dave.  May you have good health and do whatever you want whenever you want.  Just keep your mind and body busy and keep posting the classic rigs from the 40's, 50's, 60's & 70's.  Best of luck to you and enjoy the Christmas season.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
I had 29 years 9 months on the job and I've been retired for 28 years now.

I never enjoyed the fire service as much as the past 10 years or so.

I hope you enjoy your retirement. Have fun!