Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Iowa Rigs - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Iowa Rigs (/showthread.php?tid=1857)

Iowa Rigs - aohunt - 09-17-2014

Indeed.  I was looking at a map of Nevada and the city runs east and west from 1st Street to 19th Street, and north and south from A Avenue to T Avenue.  19 blocks by 20 blocks or so? 

Of course, I would imagine rural departments were combined with "city" departments, thus the distinction.  Marion, IA, a good-sized city next to Cedar Rapids, also has rural and city trucks.

Iowa Rigs - Roto-Ray - 09-18-2014

I haven't a clue if this is the case here, but I've seen a variety of fire departments that have rigs that are funded through different budgets (town money, city money, county money), and those rigs are supposed to first-in to the areas which funded them.  Perhaps the "rural" rigs were funded through some local rural co-op money?  Just a thought....

Iowa Rigs - Will - 09-18-2014

Quote:I haven't a clue if this is the case here, but I've seen a variety of fire departments that have rigs that are funded through different budgets (town money, city money, county money), and those rigs are supposed to first-in to the areas which funded them.  Perhaps the "rural" rigs were funded through some local rural co-op money?  Just a thought....
This is how my dept  is in S.E. Iowa. The city paid for our gear, station, 2 engines, the tower, heavy rescue , command vehicle stuff like that. We have a county fire board that is over the townships that we cover. They paid for 1 engine, 2 brush trucks, 2 tankers and the gator. They contract with the city for fire protection. We can take any truck to any call but we do have 1 engine that is our first out for rural fires and 1 that is first out for city fires.

Iowa Rigs - npfd801 - 09-18-2014

Quote:This is how my dept  is in S.E. Iowa. The city paid for our gear, station, 2 engines, the tower, heavy rescue , command vehicle stuff like that. We have a county fire board that is over the townships that we cover. They paid for 1 engine, 2 brush trucks, 2 tankers and the gator. They contract with the city for fire protection. We can take any truck to any call but we do have 1 engine that is our first out for rural fires and 1 that is first out for city fires.
There's a fair amount of this in Illinois too.  A city department is contracted by a rural fire district for the manning and so forth, and there are city and rural rigs paid for by the separate entities.

Iowa Rigs - aohunt - 09-19-2014

The first town east of Nevada is Colo, IA.  Colo has built or rebuilt most of their fleet and run six apparatus out of their station.  Engine 104.

Tanker 404.

Tanker 504.

Grass rig 604.  This one is scheduled to be replaced next year.

Rescue 804.

And finally engine 904.

A few group shots.  104 and 804.

104, 804 and 904.

504 and 804.

Some group shots.

Middle group shot, looking east.

Last one.  The chief was so tickled someone was willing to take group photos for the department it was a joy to share them.

Iowa Rigs - aohunt - 09-23-2014

Moving east from Colo, the next town is State Center.  Attack 6.

Attack 6.

Pumper 7.  This one is a Heiman refurb.

Rescue truck.